Pop up message box on certian input text

springbrook

Board Regular
What I want to do is:

Whenever the text "Rib Roof" is typed or entered into a cell or a merged cell, i need a message box to pop up saying "Do you wish to reveres roll the colour ?"

This is only required in 1 certain file, ie: not all other excel files.

Please help
Cheers and Merry Christmas

Thanks
Mark

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi there,

Can you get rid of your merged cells? I highly recommend it. You could try this in your worksheet code pane ...

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Compare</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Text</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Prompt <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, Title <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Cells.Count > 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Value = "Rib Roof" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
        Prompt = "Do you wish to reveres roll the colour?"
        Title = "Reverse Colour?"
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> MsgBox(Prompt, vbYesNo, Title) = vbYes <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'... code here</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'example:</SPAN>
            MsgBox "Action performed on " & Target.Address & "."
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Right click sheet tab name, select View Code, paste on right. Alt + Q will return to Excel and this will fire when you change/enter a cell value. It will exit (not fire) if you have more than one cell selected (does not pertain to merged cells).

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks, that worked well but how do I make it work for different spelling ? ie: Rib Roof or RIB ROOF.

Why is it advisable to not use merged cells ? as my small program has quite a few merged cells?

Cheers and thanks

Upvote 0
If you use the entire code I posted, it will work for all type of case sensitivity; specifically the Option Compare Text.

Merged cells generally present large problems, especially when dealing with VBA. Formulas aren't too bad, but they're still a pain to deal with. You'll save yourself some major headaches if you get rid of them now, especially if you're going to start using VBA.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back