Populate active cell value with neighboring cell value

mgareveys

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi All,

Thanks for having me on this forum, and pardon my grammar too. I have daily sale spreadsheet that I would like to auto populate cells with user defined vba functions that takes in the daily egg laying from a user and calculates the number of creates and then calculate the daily sales. This is for the month, thus from 1st to 31st depends which month we're dealing with. The problem I have is getting the crates for the day is easy (.e.i. crates = Quotient(eggs,30)), but this will have a remainder of (Eggs = egg - 30*Quotient(eggs,30)) and where (Sale = crates*rate). I would like to be able to add whatever that got remained from yesterday to todays numbers and repeated the process again till the end of the month. The other thing is the beginning of the month starts a new row which I cannot or perhaps not sure how I can access. I have written some functions which doesn't seem to be working. I will gladly appreciate your help on this, also please find attached image for your reference that may be helpful.

VBA Code:
Public Function leftValue() As Integer

leftValue = Application.Caller.Offset(-1, -1).Value
End Function

Function getRemainder(eggs As Integer)

crates = Application.WorksheetFunction.Quotient(eggs, 30)

getRemainder = eggs - crates * 30

End Function

Function SumPrice(eggs As Integer, rate As Double)
    Application.Volatile True

getRemain = eggs + leftValue()
    'yesEggs = getRemainder(eggs)
    crates = Application.WorksheetFunction.Quotient(getRemain, 30)
    SumPrice = crates * rates
End Function

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 3.46.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 3.46.07 PM.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 10

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi not easy to read your picture, as not very large. Better to post actual excel sheet (say the first three months rows only) using the XL2BB button above.

Sorry I'm not an expert at the UDF's you show - but looks to me your "leftValue()" is failing for some reason.
Nothing wrong with your getRemainder() function that I can see.

I can't tell what you are doing with the rest of your code as you don't share - but to me this kind of task looks well suited to the new Lambda() function on O365.
For example you can define =LAMBDA(eggs, QUOTIENT(eggs,30)) as "Crates" in your name manager (Ctrl+F3).
For your remainders, I would use a formula just like =MOD(P8,30) inside I perhaps cell P10 (if your "eggs" row is in fact for your remaining eggs of that day or MOD(P8+O10,30) if you wanted to add the day before ?

Does it help at all ?
Rob

Upvote 0
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion and for the quick response. I actually started learning VBA during the weekend, I thought my query was simple and I wanted to try it out to make my data entry more automated. And yes you're right the leftValue() function doesn't seem to work when I call it in another vba function however, when I call it in an active cell it works. I'm a little perplex at the beginning of every month since the remainder from the previous day is at the far right of the sheet with couple of rows and columns. I'll try your recommendation and see how it works out. Also, I have the following worksheet for three months perhaps that'll be more clearer:
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C57:AH57,C45:AH45,C51:AH51C45=QUOTIENT(C44,30)
C46:AG46,C52:AG52C46=getRemainder(C44)
C47:V47C47=28*C45
W47W47=leftValue()
X47,D53:E53X47=sumprice(W46+X44,rate)
Y47:AG47Y47=sumprice(Y44+Y46,rate)
C61:AH61,C49:AH49,C55:AH55C49=C47-C48
C53,F53:AG53C53=sumprice(C50,rate)
AH44,AH46:AH48,AH50,AH52:AH54,AH56,AH59:AH60AH44=SUM(C44:AG44)
C59:AG59C59=rate*C57
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
rate='2022'!$AJ$2X47:AG47, C53:AG53, C59:AG59
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
C61:AH61Cell Value<0textNO
C61Other TypeColor scaleNO
C55:AH55Cell Value<0textNO
C55Other TypeColor scaleNO
C49:AH49Cell Value<0textNO
C49Other TypeColor scaleNO

Upvote 0
Hi, so by using formula instead of VBA, you can "carry over" your remaining eggs across the sheet to column AG (regardless if the month has 28,30 or 31 days in it). This gives you a reference to grab it for your next month.
I defined my Lambda function as I mentioned previous, and renamed it "Crates". Cell C45 is using todays egg count + yesterdays remainder to work out how many crates. It references the end of the previous month cell eggs in AG40. (=Crates(C44+AG40))

Cell C46 has "=MOD(C44+AG40,30)" again using yesterdays remainder + todays egg count.

Then I copied across the row the formula D45->AG45 =Crates(D44+C46)
and again the formula =MOD(D44+C46,30) in D46->AG46

So important, the formulas in Col C are different to D->AG, as they are referring to last months cell location, rather than yesterdays.

Hope that helps you.

Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
Solution
AWESOME rob!!!!! This works I really didn't need vba for this at all... thanks for pointing it out!

Upvote 0
great - glad to have been useful. Many thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back