Populate ComboBox with a defined range

JCK101

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am lost, after reading oodles of suggestions on forums, I still don't understand why this code does not work:

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Me.ComboBoxService.List = Worksheets("LookupList").Range("ChartOfAccounts").Value
End Sub

My named range ChartOfAccounts is refers to: =OFFSET(LookupLists!$A$2, 0, 0, COUNTA(LookupLists!$A:$A)-1,1)

I receive: Run time error # 1004 "application-defined or object-defined error"
I searched that too, but could not understand the solutions offered to make it work in my example.

Whereas this code works:

Code:
Me.ComboBoxService.List = Worksheets("LookupList").Range("a2:a100").Value
End Sub

I prefer to use the dynamic range in case my list grows over 99 records, and to learn to work with very large lists, say 500 or 5000.

Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Your example should work - suggest that you check the spelling of your named range "ChartOfAccounts" & ensure that it matches with what you have in names.

Dave

Upvote 0
Your example should work - suggest that you check the spelling of your named range "ChartOfAccounts" & ensure that it matches with what you have in names.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I have checked and rechecked all names a hundred times. They are correct. From the blogs that I have read like you said, "it should work", but it does not.

When highlighing with red for visibility, I missed highlighting the "s" at the end of ChartOfAccounts. I even did a copy and paste right from the Name Manager, suspecting that I was entering the name wrong, and checked to make sure the name did not have a space at the end.

Again, thank you for your time.

Upvote 0
I guess I started celebrating before the game was over, lol. What I thought was running, is "not" running.

Using this statement: Me.ComboBoxService.List = Worksheets("LookupList").Range("a2:a100").Value

The userform works without generating errors, but the ComboBoxService is "not" populated, it is blank. What else I am doing wrong?

Upvote 0
The userform works without generating errors, but the ComboBoxService is "not" populated, it is blank. What else I am doing wrong?

I have no idea as your code should work. You could try a different approach - uses bit more code but hopefully, will give desired result:

Code:
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim i As Range
    Set rng = Worksheets("LookupList").Range("ChartOfAccounts")
    With Me.ComboBoxService
        .RowSource = ""
        For Each i In rng
            .AddItem i.Value
        Next i
        If .ListCount > 0 Then .ListIndex = 0
    End With
End Sub

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChipDude83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back