Possible child table for cumulative comments

DanKerr

Hello,

I am currently working on a form which has a "comments" box for people to update.

We like the data entry guys to use a specific format of the date and time and their initials and then the comment.

Unfortunately they don't always do this properly and miss out some details and have a tendency to overwrite what is in there already.

What I would be looking for is a "previous comments" box which displays everything written previously and another "comments" box that they can update.

When they update the "comments" and move on to another/new record it would add their comment with the date and their user id to the "previous comments" box and would not then be able to edit.

I can do the boxes and the locked editing on the Previous comments but I think it will probably involve a child table to record the date, user id and previous comments and new comments and some type of calculation field?

I am just looking for some pointers as where to start as I don't have too much experience with access and dumming it down would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Xenou,

I played around with the foms like you said and could see where I was going wrong.

I had one big text box that filled the whole subform window.

I was expecting everything to show up in that one box, I minimised the box down and now can see all the entries as separate boxes underneath.

Cheers for your help mate.

Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoniJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back