Power Pivot v's Power BI

farmerscott

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is a simple answer, I am only starting on my Power BI journey.

I am of the understanding Power BI can do the same things as Power Pivot (i.e. import data, manipulate before importing, write DAX + it has the better visualisations)?????

Does anyone have any comments as to which program to use? Any good habits to learn from the start?

Note:
1. I am starting off with ,"Learn to Write DAX", by Matt Allington 2016.
2. I would regard myself as having intermediate skills at both Excel (including VBA) and Access.

thanks,

FarmerScott

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Matt's course that goes through the book is an excellent investment. It is kind of tricky to do it alone.

Upvote 0
I am also just starting off with Power BI. I did a Power Pivot course through Udemy by Maven Analytics about Power Pivot and am working on one for Power BI. I found the Udemy course particularly helpful and included numerous projects to test your skills. You are correct in that if you are wanting enhanced data visualization, Power BI would be more suitable.

Upvote 0
I did a Power Pivot course through Udemy by Maven Analytics about Power Pivot and am working on one for Power BI. I found the Udemy course particularly helpful and included numerous projects to test your skills. You are correct in that if you are wanting enhanced data visualization, Power BI would be more suitable.

I took the very same course on PowerQuery on Udemy and the one on Power BI is on my list.

I am of the understanding Power BI can do the same things as Power Pivot (i.e. import data, manipulate before importing, write DAX + it has the better visualisations)?????

My understanding is that BI has PowerQuery embedded in it and is the top for data visualization, while PowerPivot is best for data analysis and insights discovery.
Very interested in hearing other opinions! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back