Power Query and cell formatting

RodneyW

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning. I'm using Power Query to import some data. When I update data in the original file, then refresh in the final file, some of the number formatting doesn't stick. For example, some cells should be formatted as % but they appear as numbers with decimals. IE 68% shows up as .68 and I have to manually change it to %. IS there anyway to avoid this step?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
If you format the table column in Excel as %, it should work

Upvote 0
If you format the table column in Excel as %, it should work
I've checked both the source and destination cells and they are all formatted as percentage. If I update the source file, then refresh on the destination file, the data does indeed change and reflect the updates I made, but the formatting changes in the destination file.

Upvote 0
are you sure your column in PQ is formatted as decimal number?

Upvote 0
are you sure your column in PQ is formatted as decimal number?
I've just confirmed, all cells I'm having an issue with are formatted in both files as "percentage' with no decimal places.

Upvote 0
I've just confirmed, all cells I'm having an issue with are formatted in both files as "percentage' with no decimal places.
OK, I think I understand better. I opened the PQ and am looking at those columns and they are indeed formatted as decimal. Trying to figure out how to convert those to %

Upvote 0
I think you misunderstood my question. Post some sample data instead, where it would go wrong

Upvote 0
If every single record in these columns are formatted as decimal, you really should be able to do the formatting in Excel, after loading the table. Try to format the table column only. So not the whole sheetcolumn.

Also, click on your Query table(in the Excel sheet), go to table design —> properties—> make sure you have “preserve cell formatting” checked

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
If every single record in these columns are formatted as decimal, you really should be able to do the formatting in Excel, after loading the table. Try to format the table column only. So not the whole sheetcolumn.

Also, click on your Query table(in the Excel sheet), go to table design —> properties—> make sure you have “preserve cell formatting” checked
That helped. THANK YOU

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwguy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back