Power Query errors when new month

GorD

I have crated a query that processes a txt file download from SAP. It formats the report, adds a few coulmns from other tables etc, and for 3 weeks of the month works great. It has columns for, past, current month ( currently called 09 2016), the next 11, months in same format and then a column for future.

These columns should all be numerical values and one of the steps formats these to whole numbers, from (e,g. 99.000 to 99)

In a new month the query fails as it doesn't find a column named 09 2016.

Can't help but think this should be easy and i am missing something obvious. How do i get this to run every week without error

Thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Having difficulties to understand where the difference to the (running) previous month lies. Do you mean that the columns-reference shall change from 08 2016 to 09 2016 and it doesn't (in general)?
Have a look at your code if it contains a "hardcoded" reference to a column like 08 2016: You have to rewrite that and create a logic that does without.
You can paste your code (of the complete query) here, if you need help on that.

One tip: Never use blanks in column names. It makes your code horrible to edit.

Upvote 0
Thanks, i'll get the code on Monday when i'm next back at work.

To try to explain this month i have columns named 09 2016 to 08 2017, as part of the query i have selected all these columns and changed the data type to whole number.

However, when we get into October there will no longer be a column called 09 2016 and the query fails - i need to go into the code and manually change the column names. It does have hard coded column references and i'm not sure how i would go about amending this. Is part oof the problem here using excel tables?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
If you unpivot the columns then that would solve the problem. Instead of having 12 columns for 12 months just have 2 columns one for the month and the other with the values. This way when a month 'drops off' the query doesn't fail as it isn't an individual column which the query can't find, if that makes any sense! Good luck

Upvote 0
Hi, I temporarily forgot about this as it's only an issue when a new month starts.
Here is the code

let
Source = Table.FromColumns({Lines.FromBinary(File.Contents("O:\Supply Chain\Susan B\DIRECT LINE FEED\Latest DLFF.txt"),null,null,1252)}),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Source,"Column1",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(tab)", QuoteStyle.Csv),{"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3", "Column1.4", "Column1.5", "Column1.6", "Column1.7", "Column1.8", "Column1.9", "Column1.10", "Column1.11", "Column1.12", "Column1.13", "Column1.14", "Column1.15", "Column1.16", "Column1.17", "Column1.18", "Column1.19"}),
#"Removed Top Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Split Column by Delimiter",2),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Top Rows", each ([Column1.4] <> null)),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Column1.1", "Column1.3"}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Removed Columns",{"Column1.5"},WBS_Changes,{"Column1"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NewColumn", {"Column2"}, {"NewColumn.Column2"}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded NewColumn",{{"NewColumn.Column2", "WBS Mod"}}),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Renamed Columns",null, each _[Column1.5], Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"WBS Mod"}),
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Replaced Value",{"Column1.5"}),
#"Merged Queries1" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Removed Columns1",{"WBS Mod"},WBS_Contract,{"WBS"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded NewColumn1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries1", "NewColumn", {"Contract"}, {"NewColumn.Contract"}),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded NewColumn1",{{"NewColumn.Contract", "Contract"}}),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Renamed Columns1"),
#"Renamed Columns2" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Promoted Headers",{{"WBS", "WBS_MOD"}, {"Column18", "Contract"}}),
#"Merged Queries2" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Renamed Columns2",{"Material"},QNotesFile,{"Material"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded NewColumn2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries2", "NewColumn", {"Material Description", "QNotes-all"}, {"NewColumn.Material Description", "NewColumn.QNotes-all"}),
#"Renamed Columns3" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded NewColumn2",{{"NewColumn.QNotes-all", "QNotes-all"}, {"NewColumn.Material Description", "Material Description"}}),
#"Removed Columns2" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Renamed Columns3",{"Plant"}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns2",{"Material", "Material Description", " WIP Quantity", " M 09/2016", " M 10/2016", " M 11/2016", " M 12/2016", " M 01/2017", " M 02/2017", " M 03/2017", " M 04/2017", " M 05/2017", " M 06/2017", " M 07/2017", " M 08/2017", "Future Quantity", "WBS_MOD", "Contract", "QNotes-all"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Reordered Columns",{{" WIP Quantity", Int64.Type}, {" M 09/2016", Int64.Type}, {" M 10/2016", Int64.Type}, {" M 11/2016", Int64.Type}, {" M 12/2016", Int64.Type}, {" M 01/2017", Int64.Type}, {" M 02/2017", Int64.Type}, {" M 03/2017", Int64.Type}, {" M 04/2017", Int64.Type}, {" M 05/2017", Int64.Type}, {" M 06/2017", Int64.Type}, {" M 07/2017", Int64.Type}, {" M 08/2017", Int64.Type}, {"Future Quantity", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Its the last two stages where the column names are hard coded that cause the problem - how would I change?
DAN80, this gives a table of data that goes out to supplier, so list format wouldn't work, but thanks

Upvote 0
You start of as Dan80 suggested and unpivot other columns than your month names, then
-> change the types of the (now only one) value column
-> Pivot back
-> Get list of current month names using List.Difference https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt253608.aspx
-> Replace your hardcoded month names in the reorder-step by that list

Code:
    UnpivotNonMonths = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Removed Columns2", {"Material", "Material Description", " WIP Quantity", "Future Quantity", "WBS_MOD", "Contract", "QNotes-all"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    ChangeTypeMonthsValues = Table.TransformColumnTypes(UnpivotNonMonths,{{"Value", type number}}),
    PivotBack = Table.Pivot(ChangeTypeMonthsValues, List.Distinct(ChangeTypeMonthsValues[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Value", List.Sum),
    GetCurrentMonthsNames = List.Difference(Table.ColumnNames(PivotBack), {"Material", "Material Description", " WIP Quantity", "Future Quantity", "WBS_MOD", "Contract", "QNotes-all"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(PivotBack, List.Combine({{"Material", "Material Description", " WIP Quantity"}, GetCurrentMonthsNames, {"Future Quantity", "WBS_MOD", "Contract", "QNotes-all"}}))
in
    #"Reordered Columns"

The columns with the month names will be sorted in the same order as they have been delivered originally in your table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back