Power Query: Internal web report view - date parameter

excelaudio

I need to try and set-up PowerQuery to an internal web report viewer. The report viewer requires dates to be selected before showing any results. I am trying to avoid back-end access via SQL, so I was wondering is there is a way to pull the necessary data with specific date parameters?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
This depends on what kind of web Report Viewer you're using/how Power Query accesses it.

Advantage of SQL-access actually is that it accepts parameters to be passed in as filters who filter at the source.

So if the filters of your web-report-Service are part of the URL, this normally shouldn't be a problem: You create a concatenated field in Excel or via Power Query that combines the fixed and variable part respectively (using "&" as the concatenator).

If there are multiple pages to pull, this is a good example of doing it efficiently: Iterating over multiple pages of web data using Power Query | Matt Masson (The list of 1..7 would probably need to be replaced by an Excel-table of your different filter-criteria)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the date requirement is not part of the URL. I found the link you provided, however, it doesn't help me navigate past this date requirement. It seems the date is some sort of Java field from what I can gather. Regarding the type of site, I'm not 100% sure.

The issue I have with accessing the data via SQL is there is a lot of red tape at our company and it takes an act of Congress to get access to the backend (SQL database). While it is possible, I was hoping this could be avoided. Again, the URL I go to, it has an option to select the dates from the loaded page. There are 2 date sections, a beginning date to select and and end date to select. Once those are selected, I would then click on the report button on the site.

This depends on what kind of web Report Viewer you're using/how Power Query accesses it.

Advantage of SQL-access actually is that it accepts parameters to be passed in as filters who filter at the source.

So if the filters of your web-report-Service are part of the URL, this normally shouldn't be a problem: You create a concatenated field in Excel or via Power Query that combines the fixed and variable part respectively (using "&" as the concatenator).

If there are multiple pages to pull, this is a good example of doing it efficiently: Iterating over multiple pages of web data using Power Query | Matt Masson (The list of 1..7 would probably need to be replaced by an Excel-table of your different filter-criteria)

Upvote 0
Has anyone else got any ideas? If it can't be done, then can someone tell me it can't be done?

Thanks,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riley Johnson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back