Power Query - Logic Categorize and Group by

jdutle

Hello. I am new to using Power Query and have gotten stuck on something and am looking for some help.

In a data set I would like to categorize the values in one of the fields using some kind of If/Then/And/Or logic. I can figure out the logic if I was using an Excel formula, but I am struggling to transfer to Power Query. After categorization, I want group the data by the new Category field and an Order Number. Below is was I am trying to accomplish. Its a made up situation, so the scenario might seem a little goofy.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

1. Categorize - If under the same Order Number create the following values in a Item Category Field:
  • "Coke" and "Ice" appear, I want to categorize to "Coke & Ice"
  • "Ice" only appears, I want to categorize to "Ice Only"
  • "Coke" only appears, I want to categorize to "Coke & Ice"
  • "Veggie Burger" or "Beef Burger", I want to categorize to "Burger"
2. Group - If the same Order Number and Category combine the records
  • Item field is no longer needed
  • Cost should be summed if same Order Number and Category
  • Expiration Date: earliest date should be used for the grouping
  • Location and Owner: should have the same data for the grouping, so only one value needs to be retained
Example.png

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
How about this?

Book2
ABCDEF
1Order NumberItemCostExpiration DateLocationOwner
211111Coke$4.00 9/1/2023OhioJohn Smith
311111Ice$0.50 10/1/2023OhioJohn Smith
422222Coke$4.00 10/1/2023IndianaDan Smith
533333Ice$0.50 10/1/2023KentuckySally Jones
633333Veggie Burger$6.00 10/3/2023KentuckySally Jones
733333Beef Burger$5.00 10/5/2025KentuckySally Jones
9Order NumberCostExpiration DateLocationOwnerItem Category
1011111$4.50 9/1/2023OhioJohn SmithCoke & Ice
1122222$4.00 10/1/2023IndianaDan SmithCoke & Ice
1233333$0.50 10/1/2023KentuckySally JonesIce Only
1333333$11.00 10/1/2023KentuckySally JonesBurger
Sheet1

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Item_List = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", (ro)=> Table.SelectRows(Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Order Number","Item"}), (tbl)=> tbl[Order Number]=ro[Order Number])[Item]),
    Custom = Table.AddColumn(Item_List, "Item Category", each if [Item] = "Coke" or [Item] ="Ice" then if List.Contains([Custom],"Coke") and List.Contains([Custom],"Ice") then "Coke & Ice" else if List.Contains([Custom],"Coke") and not List.Contains([Custom],"Ice") then "Coke & Ice" else "Ice Only" else if Text.Contains([Item],"Burger") then "Burger" else [Item]),
    Group = Table.Group(Custom, {"Order Number", "Item Category"}, {{"Cost", each List.Sum([Cost]), type number}, {"Location", each [Location]{0}, type text},{"Owner", each [Owner]{0}, type text}}),
    Expiration = Table.AddColumn(Group, "Expiration Date", (ro)=> Table.SelectRows(Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Order Number","Expiration Date"}), (tbl)=> tbl[Order Number]=ro[Order Number])[Expiration Date]{0}),
    Reorder = Table.ReorderColumns(Expiration,{"Order Number", "Cost", "Expiration Date", "Location", "Owner", "Item Category"}),
    Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Reorder,{{"Cost", Currency.Type}, {"Order Number", Int64.Type}, {"Expiration Date", type date}, {"Item Category", type text}})
in
    Type

Upvote 0
Solution
A gentle reminder:

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:

There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
How about this?

Book2
ABCDEF
1Order NumberItemCostExpiration DateLocationOwner
211111Coke$4.00 9/1/2023OhioJohn Smith
311111Ice$0.50 10/1/2023OhioJohn Smith
422222Coke$4.00 10/1/2023IndianaDan Smith
533333Ice$0.50 10/1/2023KentuckySally Jones
633333Veggie Burger$6.00 10/3/2023KentuckySally Jones
733333Beef Burger$5.00 10/5/2025KentuckySally Jones
9Order NumberCostExpiration DateLocationOwnerItem Category
1011111$4.50 9/1/2023OhioJohn SmithCoke & Ice
1122222$4.00 10/1/2023IndianaDan SmithCoke & Ice
1233333$0.50 10/1/2023KentuckySally JonesIce Only
1333333$11.00 10/1/2023KentuckySally JonesBurger
Sheet1

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Item_List = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", (ro)=> Table.SelectRows(Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Order Number","Item"}), (tbl)=> tbl[Order Number]=ro[Order Number])[Item]),
    Custom = Table.AddColumn(Item_List, "Item Category", each if [Item] = "Coke" or [Item] ="Ice" then if List.Contains([Custom],"Coke") and List.Contains([Custom],"Ice") then "Coke & Ice" else if List.Contains([Custom],"Coke") and not List.Contains([Custom],"Ice") then "Coke & Ice" else "Ice Only" else if Text.Contains([Item],"Burger") then "Burger" else [Item]),
    Group = Table.Group(Custom, {"Order Number", "Item Category"}, {{"Cost", each List.Sum([Cost]), type number}, {"Location", each [Location]{0}, type text},{"Owner", each [Owner]{0}, type text}}),
    Expiration = Table.AddColumn(Group, "Expiration Date", (ro)=> Table.SelectRows(Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Order Number","Expiration Date"}), (tbl)=> tbl[Order Number]=ro[Order Number])[Expiration Date]{0}),
    Reorder = Table.ReorderColumns(Expiration,{"Order Number", "Cost", "Expiration Date", "Location", "Owner", "Item Category"}),
    Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Reorder,{{"Cost", Currency.Type}, {"Order Number", Int64.Type}, {"Expiration Date", type date}, {"Item Category", type text}})
in
    Type
Thank you! That looks like there the desired result. I am new to PQ, where do I paste this code?

Upvote 0
You can copy and paste this code in the Power Query Editor by going to the Home tab and clicking on the Advanced Editor.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back