Power Query - Retaining Explorer Column Headings from a 'Music' folder file extraction

Harveyworld

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I am new to Power Query (and MrExcel.com) and still have much to learn, but the following issue is leaving me stumped. I cant find an exact answer anywhere so any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Currently, I have a folder with multiple music albums that I would like to extract the individual file information into Excel.
I have set up each folder within Windows Explorer as a 'music folder' to show filename, Track no., Track Title, Contributing Artist, Album, and Length as below...

1655700123124.png

However, when I run a power query extraction on a particular music folder, I notice that I am unable to retain these column headings and these default to those as shown below...
These revert to Filename, Extension, Date Accessed, Modified, created and Folder Path which I don't need.

1655700123145.png

Is there anything I can do so that when I run a power query task on a music folder it will retain the full default named columns of each music file within that folder as shown in the first image above and not those that appear in the second image?

Hopefully, its just an easy fix and I am missing something obvious.

Many Thanks

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
As far as I know Power Query extracts file names from a folder and the binary content of those files for certain file types only. It cannot read explorer columns.
In this case I'm afraid you'd be needing another solution.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your reply but I have to admit that I am somewhat distraught that this cannot be done within Power Query.
I have hundreds of folders and thousands of music files which I would like to extract the detailed information from in one huge table.

Does anybody have any other ideas how to solve this issue? I am only after the listed file information in each of the folders.

Thanks

Upvote 0
You would need a program that can export the MP3 Tags to a file.
See this blog post for an idea:

Upvote 0
Solution
Many thanks for the heads up. This certainly looks very interesting and seems to be on the right path.
I may have to familiarise myself with the intricacies of Power BI but at least he includes a step by step idiot guide in his blog which should keep me occupied for a while.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Upvote 0
Just to confirm the post by XL Pro advising a possible solution via the blog by Dutch Data Dude worked a treat and gave me something to work on.

Needless to say I am one happy bunny.

Many thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back