Powerpivot stuck on "Loading Data Model..." even older files that used to work

Vaslo

Board Regular
Per the title, I am trying to open up a Power Query/Powerpivot model that I've had for over two years. Recently, when I try to do the refresh the "Loading Data Model..." pops up in the lower right corner, the computer spins for over an hour and it's still not done. I went back to older files that I know used to work because I'd presented reports from them, but now they suddenly just spin like this and never get anywhere. Any idea what might be causing this? Did something change in Powerpivot in the last few months that would have caused this? I don't want to have to redo my model from scratch, but not sure what to do. Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I never got a response on this because it's probably too niche, but wanted to add a few things:
1) I rebuilt one of the files completely from scratch. When I went to reopen this morning, it is again stuck on "Loading Data Model..." and taking at least an hour to resolve. There's only 80k lines in the largest underlying table.
2) I moved everything to the local drive to see if that was part of the issue and it didn't help.
3) I tried suggestions to clear the pivottables from memory per suggestion on Reddit and it didn't help.
4) I had a colleague with Office 365 try to open the same file and it opened immediately for him.

I'll take any suggestions at this point, even shots in the dark - I can't even figure out how to remove powerpivot and then reinstall. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi, Vaslo. This sounds very similar to a problem I have been fighting with. Reports I built for others used to work for me and still work for them. But in the last week or two they would hang for me on refresh. I was able to determine that the Power Query refresh from the external data source was working okay, but it was when Power Pivot was updating that it seemed to hang. This seemed to apply to any spreadsheet using both Power Query and Power Pivot.

The IT guys reloaded Office and the problem went away for a day or two then came back. They just completely wiped my computer and reloaded everything in case I had picked up any malware or viruses, and it is working again. Now to see if it stays working for me. A perplexing problem.

Upvote 0
Hello Vaslo,
I have the same issue. When i just load in a worksheet, it takes a 3 seconds, but like 5mn to load in the DM (15K lines 13 columns). When i load in the DM the worksheet that has been created it is instantaneous. It is very inneficient since i need to refresh twice. But still much faster than directly loading into the DM.
Best
a/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyarra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back