Probability Formula?

tobermory

New Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2012
Messages
34
There are 3 balls in a bag, one red, two blue.

Therefore, there is a 33.33% (Cell A1) chance of picking the red ball, and a 66.66% (Cell A2) of picking a blue ball.

Would there be a formula to calculate the probability in a 'Best of X' race?

So for instance, what would be the probability of picking 2 red balls, before 2 blue balls? (Best of 3)

or the probability of picking 7 red balls, before 7 blue balls? (Best of 13)

This question always assumes there are always 3 balls are always in the bag. So it's always a 33.33/66.66% chance.

Thanks!
 

palaeontology

Active Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
300
Re: Probabilty Formula?

You would be able to achieve this through using .... =Binomdist or a combination of these

will play with it now
 

palaeontology

Active Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
300
Re: Probabilty Formula?

see if this is what you need ...

Place the headings "best of", "minimum # of success needed", "# combinations", "probability" in cells F24, G24, H24, I24

in F25 enter ... 3
in G25 enter ... =ROUNDDOWN(F25/2+1,0)
in H25 enter ... =COMBIN(F25,G25)
in I25 enter ... =BINOMDIST(G25,F25,1/3,FALSE)

in F26 enter ... =F25+1 and drag down as far as needed

drag down cells G25, H25 and I25 as far as needed

you should have the correct probabilities in decimal form

Kind regards

Chris
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,084,776
Messages
5,379,818
Members
401,629
Latest member
LEMANOIS

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

Top