Problem with linked files causing files to open very slowly?

au2010

I use a number of linked Excel workbooks. Sometimes, files which are not particularly large seem to take an extraordinarily long time (several minutes) to open, and when this happens, it's accompanied by a message in the lower right part of the Excel window that says "LINKING: (linked file name.xls)" and then a status bar which fills up very slowly. See the attached screen shot.

Does anyone know what causes this to happen? I cannot seem to discern an real pattern here - it seems to happen almost at random, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

Here's some additional information that could be relevant:

1) When it happens, the "LINKING" message only lists the name of one linked file, even if the workbook I am opening has links to more than one other workbook.
2) It doesn't seem to be consistent even for the same file - sometimes when I open a given workbook, it gives me the "LINKING" message - but other times it doesn't when for the same file.
3) Sometimes it happens when opening an .xlsx file that has links to an .xls file - could that possibly be a factor?
4) Version: Excel 2016, Office Professional Plus 2016
5) The workbooks are all stored on a remote network drive, not on my local hard drive.

Thank you!

Screenshot (11).png

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amyap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back