Problem with Shift C, Help!!!

biocentrism

Board Regular
Hello

I have a very strange problem that I cannot seem to find anyone else having an issue with. I am hoping that someone here will have a clue about what is going on.

Problem: Only when using VB Editor in Excel 2010, whenever I hit Shift 'C', the letter comes out to the left of the cursor. This is highly annoying as I have to go back an insert a space before the 'C'. This only happens when typing Shift-C, no other letter does this. This is what it looks like:

Example:
with Caps lock OFF, holding down the shift key:
A BC D E F G H etc...

with Caps lock ON, holding down the shift key:
a bc d e f g h etc...

The shift-key plus 'c' key causes it to ignore the space before the letter c. Even if I try to insert 2 spaces or more it deletes all the extra spaces and puts the C right next to the last letter of the previous word. So if I try to type "Typing the letter Shift C is Causing Consternation!" it comes out looking like "Typing the letter ShiftC isCausingConsternation!"

I have tried the following solutions to no avail:
1. rebooted computer
2. reinstalled Office 2010
3. checked through the autocorrect/spell check settings.

Also worth noting:
1. it does not happen when typing in a regular Excel spreadsheet, just in VB Editor.
2. it does not happen in VB Editor in Word or Acces, just Excel.
3. it does not happen on either of the other 3 computers I have. Just this particular computer.

It seems to me there is something wrong with this computer as even a reinstall of Office 2010 does not solve the problem.

Does anyone have any clue as to what may be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated as I do not know what to do and it is a royal pain in the butt to deal with.

Thank you very much.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Do you have any software/add-ons that may be causing what you are seeing?

Not that I can think of.

The problem appeared as I was writing a lot of VBA code. I use CamelCase when naming variables, so I figured Excel somehow "learned" to join words starting with Shift-c with the previous word and remove the space. But I cannot find anywhere where Excel can "learn" this. I assumed a reinstall of Office would definitely clear whatever was going on but it did not. So it seems the problem must be deeper in the operating system somewhere but I have no idea. I do not want to reinstall my operating system just to solve this and possibly that wont solve the problem.

As I said, this problem only exists on 1 of 3 computers I use and they all have the identical software/setup running.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Do you have any software/add-ons that may be causing what you are seeing?

I do have an add-in for Bloomberg Office Tools installed. Its installed on all the computers. But I guess the install on this one got corrupted. So I disabled it and the Shift-C problem got resolved! Reinstalled the add-in and now everything works great. Thanks so much for the tip Andrew!!! You have saved much future frustration!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back