Problems Referencing Table's DataBodyRange

19Rohan77

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

To be honest, I am unsure what has happened overnight, as this was working! Now however, I am getting 'runtime error 9 -subscript out of range'. Bizarre, even in old versions of this file that previously worked, they no longer do. Please forgive the use of "select" or "activesheet", the code was written when I knew even less than I do now!

To explain, the following is the relevant snippet from reels of vba. I am using VBA to build a costing spreadsheet that places items from a table on a different sheet ("Data"), under relevant headings on another sheet. It's slow but it has previously trundled through moving DataBodyRange members based on a columns heading match (cell.value from previous sheet) quite happily.

Now however I get out of range. I have tried increasing the specificity and checking table / sheet names but I still keep getting the same thing. Any hints on what excel might be up to and what I need to change would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rohan

ps. I think my set rangename line is actually redundant as I don't use the name elsewhere. I think it's an artifact

VBA Code:
For Each cell In RngA

If cell.Style = "Heading 4" Then

Sheets("Data").Select

On Error Resume Next

'Copy only cells with values from under the appropriate heading (Cell.Value)
    Set rangename = ActiveSheet.ListObjects("System_Section_Content").listcolumns(cell).Value

With ActiveSheet.ListObjects("System_Section_Content").listcolumns(cell.Value).DataBodyRange

On Error Resume Next

Set rngChange = .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)

rngChange.Copy

On Error GoTo 0

End With

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Before referencing the DBR cheeck to see that it exists as per this sample:

VBA Code:
Sub TblHasDBR()

Dim tbl As ListObject
    Set tbl = ActiveSheet.ListObjects("tblTest")
    Dim sOutput As String

If Not tbl.DataBodyRange Is Nothing Then
        Debug.Print tbl.DataBodyRange.Rows.Count
    Else
        Debug.Print "No DBR"
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your prompt reply pbornemeier, appreciated. I will try your suggestion when next in front of it. Interestingly, my boss can get the code to execute happily (exactly the same file in the same location) on his PC. Is this at all diagnostic for what might be happening?

Cheers

Rohan

Upvote 0
Not sure how that is happening. If the table has no DBR then the code should fail when it tries to reference it.

Upvote 0
Which line actually causes the error?

Upvote 0
Hi Phil and Rory, thanks for the continued support. I ended up 'fixing' it, by removing the following line which I assume was originally intended to give a name to the variable, however as I referenced explicitly, it was surplus. Doesn't explain why excel stopped 'liking it' overnight...?

Set rangename = ActiveSheet.ListObjects("System_Section_Content").listcolumns(cell).Value

Cheers

Rohan

Upvote 0
The Set keyword is used to assign an object to a variable... that .Value on the end of the statement means you are trying to assign a value, not an object, to the rangename variable. Normally, I would say remove the .Value but given your variable's name, I am kind of thinking the keyword Set should be removed instead. It is hard to know your intention here because you only provided a snippet of your code, so we have to guess at what your code is trying to do.

Upvote 0
This one
Code:
    Else
        Debug.Print "No DBR"
    End If
Always return tbl.DataBodyRange.Rows.Count
I am using the next wild way:
Code:
Set s = tbl.DataBodyRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
err1004Handling:
    If Err.Number = 1004 Then
        Target.Value = vbNullString
        UnhideRows_and_OpenTable wsS, tbl
        MessageBox "No Data.", "excl"
    End If
No filter returns (for me: Excel 2016) always Error 1004.
Maybe you have idea why it not works?
Before referencing the DBR cheeck to see that it exists as per this sample:

VBA Code:
Sub TblHasDBR()

Dim tbl As ListObject
    Set tbl = ActiveSheet.ListObjects("tblTest")
    Dim sOutput As String

Else
        Debug.Print "No DBR"
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
I wonder, is it possible...
If I refer to table in some cell outside table, I am writing something like next:
Code:
=Table1[[#Totals],[Balance]]
Can I use DataBodyRange here:
instead of
Code:
=COUNTIF(I5:I63,1)
to use something as
Code:
=COUNTIF(Table1[[Status],[DataBodyRange]],1)
or simillar?

Thanks in advance, Rick.
The Set keyword is used to assign an object to a variable... that .Value on the end of the statement means you are trying to assign a value, not an object, to the rangename variable. Normally, I would say remove the .Value but given your variable's name, I am kind of thinking the keyword Set should be removed instead. It is hard to know your intention here because you only provided a snippet of your code, so we have to guess at what your code is trying to do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back