Problems with a countifs formula

mark hansen

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I've been fighting with this formula for two days now and I'm starting to give up. I thought it would pretty basic.

I have a table that I need a formula to look at and produce the number of FALSE entries in a group of columns, that are attributed to a doc on a certain appointment date. When I put the criteria together, it gives me [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=VALUE]#VALUE [/URL] , but when I try each of criteria separate, it provides the correct number... I'm trying to produce a grid of numbers with the dates on top, and doctor's names down the side.

Row 9 are dates, column AK are the doctor's names

The formula I want to work is:
=COUNTIFS(Table1[PAU Appt Date],AM$9,Table1[Staff Surgeon],$AK11,Table1[[H&P Done]:[Pre-Op teaching Done]],FALSE) this produces a [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=VALUE]#VALUE [/URL]

All of these work...
=COUNTIFS(Table1[[H&P Done]:[Pre-Op teaching Done]],FALSE)
=COUNTIFS(Table1[PAU Appt Date],AM$9,Table1[Staff Surgeon],$AK12)
=COUNTIFS(Table1[PAU Appt Date],AM$9)

It seems like something may be wrong with the Table1[[H&P Done]:[Pre-Op teaching Done]],FALSE part. It works by itself, but not in combination with the other criteria.

I'm a little new at table notation, maybe I'm getting that wrong.

I even tool a wild stab at making it all ranges line =COUNTIFS(Table1[[PAU Appt Date]:[PAU Appt Date]],AM$9,Table1[[Staff Surgeon]:[Staff Surgeon]],$AK11,Table1[[H&P Done]:[Pre-Op teaching Done]],FALSE) But that different work.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Your problem is that with a COUNTIFS, all of the ranges must be the same size. The one you want to work has 2 ranges that are 1 column wide, and 1 range that is 2 (or more) columns wide. You could just split it up, like this:

=COUNTIFS(Table1[PAU Appt Date],AM$9,Table1[Staff Surgeon],$AK11,Table1[H&P Done],FALSE)+COUNTIFS(Table1[PAU Appt Date],AM$9,Table1[Staff Surgeon],$AK11,Table1[Pre-Op teaching Done],FALSE)

or you could use SUMPRODUCT if you have more columns:

=SUMPRODUCT(EXACT(Table1[[H&P Done]:[Pre-Op teaching Done]],FALSE)*(Table1[PAU Appt Date]=AM$9)*(Table1[Staff Surgeon]=$AK11))

Upvote 0
Thanks Eric! I didn’t think about approaching it that way.

Upvote 0
thanks again Eric, I put this into practice at work today and and it helped a lot... Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back