Programmatically move from an open cell to a different one

sclarke2010

Hi, I am trying to programmatically move to a new cell if someone is is the middle of entering text, numbers, formulas, etc. The reason for this is that this 'open/input' cell stops the worksheet from being saved and closed. So is there a way of saying programmatically (in C# and .net) that if a cell is open ie someone hasn't clicked on another cell after entering info, then move to the next cell or cell A1 (any other cell will do)?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
What do you mean by an 'open' cell?

How are you copying/saving and why is this stopping you doing so?

I know that you can't execute VBA when a cell is in edit mode, not sure what difference, if any, using .NET or C# would make.

What is it you are actually trying to achieve?

Upvote 0
Hi Norie, Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, edit mode is a better description.

Basically when a worksheet has a cell in edit mode (ie when someone double clicked on a cell and started entering text, etc), .net and C# isn't able to get a reference to it. So all that I want to do is programmatically move away from this cell to any other cell, or an equivalent of hitting return on a cell in edit mode. In other words when this part of finished no cell in any wprksheet should be in edit mode.

Regards, Stephen

Upvote 0
Stephen

Did you not see what I said about VBA and edit mode?

Why would you want/need to save a workbook when a user is in the process of editing/entering data?

I don't know about you but it would freak me out a bit if all of a sudden focus moved to another cell while I was typing something.ll.

My laptop is bad enough for that sort of thing, though that's probably me just being fat-fingered.:)

Upvote 0
Hi Norie,

Yes, I read your replies about VBA and edit mode.

This may well be the case with C# and .net, and is what I am trying to find out and do if possible. Basically, I am trying to find a way of saving everything for a user when they are not at their desk ie if they just left one worksheet cell in edit mode and went home for the day, and this can't be saved programitically when a cell is in edit mode. So just need any way of programmatically returning or moving to a cell beside the edit cell.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if this is possible ie to programatically (I'm using C# '08 and .net '09), move from an Excel cell that is in edit mode (ie someone entering or updating info in the cell) to another cell? Any other cell would do (eg A1, cell beside current cell, etc).

Thanks,

Stephen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back