Project Management Solution?

jkeyes

I have recently been charged with developing a solution to my department's antiquated "project tracking system" and I'm a little overwhelmed by the myriad options seemingly available to me, and figuring out if and how they would apply to my situation. If you'll indulge me, I'll spell out what I'm looking to do, and I'd like your feedback regarding viable solutions and/or other options or things I need to consider.

First, a little info about me. I was given this task because I'm the "tech" guy on our team. In other words, I enjoy gadgets, stay current on tech trends, and have developed a few tools for our department with VBA. Somehow this qualifies me for this task. :confused:

So, onto the meat of the problem... I am a member of my company's marketing team. The team consists of about 20 members spread across 5 locations nationwide, and we have about 15 locations company-wide. Account managers at any of these offices request projects from the marketing team.

Our current project request process:

Currently, requests are submitted by email, with no set structure, to our boss who then decides who to pass it off to. She simply forwards the email to the appropriate team member, and it is their job to contact the requester to fill in any holes in the request. In addition to this, the team member is also supposed to enter the project parameters into an Excel spreadsheet for tracking. This spreadsheet then serves as our team's sole guide for completed and working projects.

Desired project request process:

Account managers go to a company intranet site, fill out a dynamic request form that, based on their input, allows only certain selections to be made (I imagine this to be back-boned by a series of tables and sub-tables). Upon submission, the tool then automatically notifies necessary parties of the request via email or similar. I'd like the people notified to be determined by criteria entered on the form (e.g. certain people on the team complete certain projects, so it should go to them and/or based on the number of projects on a person's desk at the time). In other words, the tool will also act as a sort of Traffic Coordinator.

I imagine from here the request data is also entered into a database. This db would need to be accessed from any member of the team, at any time, and be able to extract reporting from it, manage time-lines (Outlook calendar?), etc. Reporting would consist of projects per month, break-down by type, turnaround time, etc.

Upon completion of a project, the team member would return finished product to the requester. If possible, I'd like it done via this tool so that "Completed" status is entered automatically.

This is what I've envisioned so far, though I'm sure it'll evolve as we move forward. I am completely open to any ideas or insights as to how best to handle this. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I did a quick Google search on Project management Excel, and 10 links came up right away. At least one of them is a name I recognized. Perhaps that is a place to start. There is also a ton of shareware out there, may not be Excel based though. It sounds like you need a custom program. A lot of folks who frequent Mr. Excel are in the business of cutom programs, even Bill Jelen.

Upvote 0
Thanks Gary...

I actually had placed this question in the Lounge originally, as I knew it didn't pertain directly to Excel, nor did I want it to. I was looking for other solutions. My guess is that a moderator figured it might get better exposure here...

I also did several Google searches, as well as talked with a couple people at MS to discuss their EPM solution. My head is spinning from the options. :eek: and I was hoping the folks here might have some good suggestions.

I guess I'm willing to do some development myself, but I certainly don't want to build it myself in access or VB, as the scope of the project is far greater than I have time for. So, some specific application or combo of applications is probably the answer... Here are a few apps or tools I've heard mentioned, though I'm not sure how they'd all fit together:

MS Infopath
MS Sharepoint
MS Access
MS EPM Web Server Solution
Siebel's Relationship Mgmt Solution
Ace Project Mgmt

Any insight would be appreciated!

Upvote 0
MS Project is a good program, and I believe it would suit your needs very well. The learning curve is not bad, considering they are already involved with other MS products.

I don't think Excel would be robust enough in the ways you need it to be.
People would be tempted to tinker with Excel, and that could bring the whole thing down in no time.

I would invest in a professional project management software. Get a training program in place, and go with something thats proven itself many times over.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back