Combination Filtering

HarperMA

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have 2 sheets Form_ERR and DataBase_ERR.

Form_ERR has: -
Cell L11 - where a number can be entered
Cell L14 - dropdown selection containing Names
Cell L16 - dropdown selection containing Categories
Cell L18 - dropdown selection contain Departments
Cell L20 - dropdown selection containing Status

DataBase_ERR has: -
Table - DataBase_ERR (range C24:N1000)
Header C - [Status]
Header D - [ERR]
Header E - [Description]
Header F - [Date In]
Header G - [Target]
Header H - [Dept]
Header I - [Requester]
Header J - [Market]
Header K - [Classification]
Header L - [Priority]
Header M - [Engineer]
Header N - [Completion Date]

I have a formula (below) that filters the table (DataBase_ERR) if one of the cells above contains a value (only one cell contains a value at any one time).
=FILTER(DataBase_ERR,(DataBase_ERR[ERR]=Form_ERR!L11)+(DataBase_ERR[Engineer]=Form_ERR!L14)+(DataBase_ERR[Market]=Form_ERR!L16)+(DataBase_ERR[Dept]=Form_ERR!L18)+(DataBase_ERR[ERR]=Form_ERR!L26)+(DataBase_ERR[ERR]=Form_ERR!L34))

This above formula works fine, but I now need to combine an additional filter that will do the same as above but also Filter if Cell L14 and Cell L20 have values. The formula I have for this is: -
=IFERROR(FILTER(DataBase_ERR,((DataBase_ERR[Engineer]=L14)+(DataBase_ERR[Market]=L16)+(DataBase_ERR[Dept]=L18))*(DataBase_ERR[Engineer]=L14)*(DataBase_ERR[Status]=L20)),"")

This formula will give me the filter results I want but if I leave Cell L20 blank then I get no results at all.

I'm a keen learner but very much a noob, so any help would be gratefully received.
Mark.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Welcome to the Forum!
This formula will give me the filter results I want but if I leave Cell L20 blank then I get no results at all.
I'm not completely clear on the one cell / two cells containing values.

But in general terms, if you want to filter only when a non-blank filter value is specified, you can change a term like this:

Excel Formula:
(DataBase_ERR[Status]=L20) 

to 

IF(L20="",1,DataBase_ERR[Status]=L20)

Upvote 0
Hi Stephen,

Attachments

• Combination Filtering 1.jpg
    Combination Filtering 1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Combination Filtering 2.jpg
    Combination Filtering 2.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Hi Stephen,
I couldn't get you IF(L20= etc to work so I have uploaded a couple of screen grabs that hopefully may help explain in more detail.
In the yellow search box there are 3 options for me to search by (using dropdown menus).
* Engineer
* Market
* Dept
* Status

I can select an option from the dropdown menu (eg. Engineer - would give me Name 1)
My filter formula will then summaries all jobs by this name.

Again I can summaries the list if I use either of the other dropdown menus * Market, * Dept * Status.
What I need to do is also summaries if I have * Engineer and * Status selected at the same time.

As you can see from the second image my current formula does not do this.

Hope the above helps.

Many thyanks
Mark.

Upvote 0
... so I have uploaded a couple of screen grabs that hopefully may help explain in more detail.
Unfortunately screenshots aren't much help. The best way to post an example is to use the XL2BB add-in, as I have done below. That way we can copy/paste direct into a workbook.

Here's what I had in mind:

ABCDE
2NameStatusClassCode
3AYes1101
4AYes2102
5BYes3103
6CNo3104
7BNo2105
8DYes1106
9CNo1107
10AYes2108
12Filter
13A2
15Results
16AYes2102
17AYes2108
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B16:E17B16=FILTER(MyTable,IF(B13="",1,MyTable[Name]=B13)*IF(C13="",1,MyTable[Status]=C13)*IF(D13="",1,MyTable[Class]=D13))
Dynamic array formulas.

I'm not clear why you're adding your filters?

Multiplying is for AND. Adding is for OR. For example, to filter by Name="A" OR Class=2:

ABCDE
2NameStatusClassCode
3AYes1101
4AYes2102
5BYes3103
6CNo3104
7BNo2105
8DYes1106
9CNo1107
10AYes2108
12Results
13AYes1101
14AYes2102
15BNo2105
16AYes2108
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B13:E16B13=FILTER(MyTable,(MyTable[Name]="A")+(MyTable[Class]=2))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Hi Stephen,
Again, thanks very much for your update.
Unfortunately, I don't have the access rights to install add-ons.

However, after some tinkering with your formula's above I now have the formula that works for me (see below).

=IFERROR(FILTER(DataBase_ERR,IF(L14="",1,DataBase_ERR[Engineer]=L14)*IF(L16="",1,DataBase_ERR[Market]=L16)*IF(L18="",1,DataBase_ERR[Dept]=L18)*IF(L14="",1,Database_ERR[Engineer]=L14)*IF(L20="",1,DataBase_ERR[Status]=L20)),"")

I will try to upload an example workbook, in case it proves helpful to anyone else.

In the mean time, if the above formula is of use for anyone else please see below.

Workbook
* Sheet 1
* Sheet 2

Upvote 0
Hi Stephen,
Again, thanks very much for your update.
Unfortunately, I don't have the access rights to install add-ons.

However, after some tinkering with your formula's above I now have the formula that works for me (see below).

=IFERROR(FILTER(DataBase_ERR,IF(L14="",1,DataBase_ERR[Engineer]=L14)*IF(L16="",1,DataBase_ERR[Market]=L16)*IF(L18="",1,DataBase_ERR[Dept]=L18)*IF(L14="",1,Database_ERR[Engineer]=L14)*IF(L20="",1,DataBase_ERR[Status]=L20)),"")

I will try to upload an example workbook, in case it proves helpful to anyone else.

In the mean time, if the above formula is of use for anyone else please see below.

Workbook
* Sheet 1
* Sheet 2

Sheet 1 is where the search cells A1, A2, A3 & A4 are located.
Sheet 2 is where the TABLE is located.
The TABLE contains 4 columns [ENGINEER], [MARKET], [DEPT] & [STATUS]

So,

=IFERROR(FILTER(TABLE,IF(A1="",1,TABLE[Engineer]=A1)*IF(A2="",1,TABLE[Market]=A2)*IF(A3="",1,TABLE[Dept]=A3)*IF(A4="",1,TABLE[Engineer]=A4)*IF(A5="",1,TABLE[Status]=A4)),"")

as a bonus, I've also added a Choosecols to filter just [ENGINEER] & [STATUS]

=IFERROR(CHOOSECOLS(FILTER(TABLE,IF(A1="",1,TABLE[Engineer]=A1)*IF(A2="",1,TABLE[Market]=A2)*IF(A3="",1,TABLE[Dept]=A3)*IF(A4="",1,TABLE[Engineer]=A4)*IF(A5="",1,TABLE[Status]=A4)),""),1,4)

Many, Many thanks for you help.
Mark.

Upvote 0
Solution
Excellent, I'm glad you got it working.

If you do want to post a workbook (making sure it doesn't contain confidential or sensitive information, of course), you'll need to upload to a drop box site, and include the link in your post to this forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back