Property Value Too Large when Changing format from Short Text to Long Text

squeakums

How do I not get the error Property Value Too Large when changing format from Short Text to Long Text? I cannot get past the 255 character length; its driving me bonkers.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
I don't understand why you would be getting that error when trying to go from Short to Long.
Exactly what does your data look like?
Could you post a bunch of examples?

squeakums

All fields are currently 255 characters are less; but they want to add more. I moved this from a sharepoint list back into access as a local table to make the modifications. The text has for example: text + test + test; comments etc. No hyperlinks or anything like that. I did compact and repair, didn't resolve the issue .. access hates me. I even saved as rich text. When changing to long text, where do I specify that I want it at its max?

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
So, let's take a step back here, as we need to understand where we are starting from.
Is this a data table that is already currently existing in Access?
Is it a linked table, or a "local" table?
Is it populated with data already?
Are you getting this error when you try to change the data type on the already existing, already populated with data table?
What exactly are all the current properties on this field?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HMR120

This Week's Hot Topics