Pull distinct number from independant columns

NightCa

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everybody. These days I've been trying to find a function that can pull a number from each column in a selected range so that all pulled numbers are different.
For example, if the Starting columns are A:[1,3,5], B[1,2,3], C[4,6], D[1], a possible solution could be [3,2,6,1], or [5,2,4,1]. Note that there are dependancies between columns: for example, 1 can't be pulled from column A because there would be no numbers to pull in D. So far the best answer i could get is to pull numbers randomly until you get a valid solution. I was wondering if there was a way to not use this recursive method, but a more deterministic approach, to always get distinct numbers (if not impossible).

Yes, it will produce results only the selected range. If you want one row below, you have to select from K2 to T2 and repeat the process. Also locking the referances may help =getRandom($A$1:$J$100)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I don't think i understand your answer. My question was related to this weird series of ones below the solution's row, and i wanted to know if there is a way to get rid of it
1682643590197.png

Upvote 0
Hmm.. Now I get it. Try to chage this line:
VBA Code:
results = Array(resultArr.keys, resultArr.items)
Like tihs:
Power Query:
results = Array(resultArr.keys)

Upvote 0
I think your excel version supports array formulas. I think you don't have to select all range. Just write into one cell and it will spill results to all cells. Also you don't have to press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, I guess.

Upvote 0
According to this post, you don't have to add Application.Volatile. Ctrl+Alt+F9 Should refresh UDF function.

Upvote 0
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Select different numbers from indipendent lists efficiently
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxim_sivakon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back