Question About Error Outs I Get in the Power Query Editor

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Hi can someone explain to me why this happens:

I download a report and when I view the info I see that the duration of time for the 3 metrics look like so:
1639826161176.png

This looks fine to me as it seems to be in h:mm:ss format.
Upon further investigation in the formula bar shows it as a time with the midnight hour:

1639826387101.png

Each time I load data in Power Query (in excel or Power Bi) It formats the data to the Time format but now with a date:
1639826675506.png

I try to Change Type but it errors out everytime. What do I need to do?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
It is actually defined as variant: look at the icon with "ABC/123" at the left part of your column headers.
Meaning, PQ can't detect the data type automatically. When I define it as "Time" it simply works. I created dummy data since I can't copy data from a picture. Consider using XL2BB please for future posts.
Maybe use a local format.
1639846398512.png

Hitting From Locale, you get to this screen. Use the format that's used in the source data. That might be different then your PC local setting.
1639846565060.png

Upvote 0
Solution
It is actually defined as variant: look at the icon with "ABC/123" at the left part of your column headers.
Meaning, PQ can't detect the data type automatically. When I define it as "Time" it simply works. I created dummy data since I can't copy data from a picture. Consider using XL2BB please for future posts.
View attachment 53657
Hitting From Locale, you get to this screen. Use the format that's used in the source data. That might be different then your PC local set
View attachment 53657
Hitting From Locale, you get to this screen. Use the format that's used in the source data. That might be different then your PC local setting.
View attachment 53658
Thank you! Sorry for the late reply on this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back