Question about IF THEN and refernceing other tables

ExcelNovice2013

I have a workbook (named Pay Ranges) with pay grades 1 -25 and 3 pay rates for each grade based on years in title. In another workbook (named Scenarios) I am running scenarios based on data in the Pay Ranges workbook. The scenario workbook contains the employee name, current pay grade and years in title. The Pay Ranges workbook is maintained separately and is a living document that is updated when the dollar value of the ranges change.

I need a formula in the Scenario Workbook to look at the employee's current years in title and determine which rate of pay they would be eligible for based on grade then years in title. The rates change every 5 years.

The formula I started with was IF nesting the different rates but I can't get my head around the need for the formula to consider the pay grade first. I am getting a circular reference <sigh>. Any help, suggestion, lifelines, or other forms of assistance is truly appreciated!!!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I use INDEX & MATCH most of the time, but there are other ways to do it.

If you could post the layout of your workbooks I could provide you with a formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back