question related to monte carlo

Pepe

so i have to set up this scenario and use a monte carlo simulation to assess the risk involved with the problem at hand:

Description:
Today, simulation is widely accepted in the world of business to predict, to explain, to train, and to help identify optimal solutions. Simulation is used extensively in manufacturing to model production and assembly operations, develop realistic production schedules, study inventory policies, analyze reliability, quality, and equipment replacement problems, and design material handling and logistics systems. It is used in designing and evaluating computer and communication networks and scheduling resources in complex projects. Simulation also finds extensive application in both profit-seeking service firms such as financial and retail companies, and in non-profit service organizations such as health care, government, and education. These applications might involve the study of customer waiting-line behavior, evaluating surgical schedules, and designing efficient work flows in offices. Rather recently, due to increased availability and power of personal computers, simulation capabilities have been linked with spreadsheets to allow managers and knowledge worker to evaluate risks of financial investment, marketing, real estate, and other common types of business decisions.

Simulation models may be either deterministic or probabilistic. The type of simulation model in this project is probabilistic because it account for randomness in the data or the systems it represents. Some common examples of data that exhibit random behavior and are modeled probabilistically in simulation models are consumer sales, machine operating times until failure, customer service times, and project activity completion times.

There are two distinct types of probabilistic models: Monte Carlo simulation models and system simulation. Monte Carlo simulation is basically a sampling experiment whose purpose is to estimate the distribution of an outcome variable that depends on several probabilistic input variables. Monte Carlo simulation is often used to evaluate the expected impact of policy changes and risk involved in decision making. Systems simulation, on the other hand, explicitly models sequences of events that occur over time. Thus, inventory, queuing, manufacturing, and material-handling problems are among the types of situations addressed with systems simulation.

You also use Monte Carlo simulation to solve the project problem.

Application of Risk Analysis Problem:
Your group is a decision-making team and is considering a $10 million expansion project. Estimates of key input factors are (all uniformly distributed):

Market size: 100,000 to 350,000 tons
Selling price: $375 to $575
Market growth rate: 0 to 6% per year
Market share: 3 to 17%
Total investment required: $7 million to $10.5 million
Useful life of the new facility: 5 to 15 years
Residual value of facility: $3.5 million to $5 million
Operating costs: $320 to $550 per ton
Fixed costs: $250,000 to $375,000

Analyze the risks associated with this project.

i'm not asking anyone to do this for me at all, i just am not really sure where to start. i am pretty good in excel (although i'm sure nothing compared to people on here), but i have never used a monte carlo simulation before. if anyone can offer some advice i would greatly appreciate it. do i have to download other plugins for my computer to use with excel? i use a mac if that has any significance at all. thanks.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi,

I haven't read in detail your problem, but there are numerous websites on the net dealing with Monte Carlo.. perhaps this link can be of help.

(really, just trying to help here :) )

Upvote 0
awesome, thanks man, appreciate the help. checking it out right now

edit: the issue i am finding when i do a google search, is that all of the examples and such that i am finding do not have nearly the amount of variables that i am faced with, hence why i googled this board, and posted up here lol

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ripvw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back