Question: Text sorting in columns

DargonSwift

I'm a novice at Excel, but I've been learning a lot from this board, so I'm hoping one of you guru's can help me with my current obstacle.

Background:
I am creating a form that will produce text in 5 or more columns based on various IF/VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP based formulas (The data will be coming from a table). The data is already formated to fit the column width (since I haven't figured out how to tell it to take any data that doesn't fit and put it on the next cell down), so some lines will be broken up on different cells, and need to be preserved in that order.

Basic Problem:
I want to combine the data from around 5 columns into one column, but I don't want there to be any blank lines. I've seen other forms do just this using macros, but I know nothing about VB (yet).

So, I need to take data from Columns A, B, C, D, and E; combine them into column F without any additional lines/spaces, and preserve the order of the original columns.

I hope I've communicated this well enough. I'll search the forums for how to insert a sample of what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for taking time to look at this.

-D

Hi,

If you download and install morefunc add-in from here
http://xcell05.free.fr/english/index.html

You can then use:

=INDEX(ARRAY.JOIN($A$1:INDEX($A$1:$A$99,MATCH(2,1/($A$1:$A$99<>""))),$B$1:INDEX($B$1:$B$99,MATCH(2,1/($B$1:$B$99<>""))),$D$1:INDEX($D$1:$D$99,MATCH(2,1/($D$1:$D$99<>"")))),ROW()-ROW($E$1)+1)

Confirmed with Ctrl + shift + enter in E1, then dragged down.

Thanks so much for this. While this is way over my head at first glance, it does give me something to work with.

I will have to play around with it to see if it works for my form. If I use this, will anyone else using the form/worksheet also need to download the add-in (or have the same version of Excel as I do)?

I assume the $A$1:$A$99 is the range for column "A" and so forth? I'll have to hit my books and decipher how this works so I can understand it better. Thanks again, I'll let you know if I can get it to work.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
DargonSwift

See if this is any use. It uses standard Excel formulas, but does require some 'helper' columns.

1. F1 houses 0
2. F2 (copied down): =COUNTA(OFFSET(A:A,,,,ROWS(F$2:F2)))
These results are the cumulative number of entries across the columns. There may be a better way to get these counts as OFFSET is generally not my first choice of functions.
3. G2: =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,F:F)
This gives the total number of entries.
4. I1 (copied down): =IF(ROWS(I$1:I1)>G$2,"",INDEX(A:C,ROW()-VLOOKUP(ROW()-1,F:F,1,1),MATCH(ROW()-1,F:F,1)))
Mr Excel.xls
ABCDEFGHIJ
1a1red0Totala
2b2blueA412b
3c3greenB7c
4dyellowC12d
5pink1
8red
9blue
10green
11yellow
12pink
Consolidate Columns

Upvote 0
Hi,

If you download and install morefunc add-in from here
http://xcell05.free.fr/english/index.html

You can then use:

=INDEX(ARRAY.JOIN($A$1:INDEX($A$1:$A$99,MATCH(2,1/($A$1:$A$99<>""))),$B$1:INDEX($B$1:$B$99,MATCH(2,1/($B$1:$B$99<>""))),$D$1:INDEX($D$1:$D$99,MATCH(2,1/($D$1:$D$99<>"")))),ROW()-ROW($E$1)+1)

Confirmed with Ctrl + shift + enter in E1, then dragged down.

Thanks so much for this. While this is way over my head at first glance, it does give me something to work with.

I will have to play around with it to see if it works for my form. If I use this, will anyone else using the form/worksheet also need to download the add-in (or have the same version of Excel as I do)?

I assume the $A$1:$A$99 is the range for column "A" and so forth? I'll have to hit my books and decipher how this works so I can understand it better. Thanks again, I'll let you know if I can get it to work.

Here is a picture of my suggestion. Maybe it helps you understand.
Book1.xls
ABCDEF
1ApplesBlueBoxApples
2OrangesGreenCrateOranges
3PearsRedEnvelopePears
4BananasYellowBananas
5MangoOrangeMango
6VioletBlue
7WhiteGreen
8BlackRed
9PinkYellow
10BrownOrange
11Violet
12White
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back