Random Number Generator with flexible probability

Jayem1

Hello,

I am not sure of the proper terminology of what I am looking for but here is a description...

I am looking to create a column of 1,000 results with each cell showing one of two numbers (ideally for me would be a "1" and a "-1"). I would like to be able to change what percentage of the time the "1" shows up, ie. in each cell there could be a 60% chance that the "1" would show up meaning there would be a 40% chance of the "-1" showing up.

Currently I am using the formula: =RANDBETWEEN(0, 1) to create what I hope is a 50/50 chance of either a "0" or a "1" showing up in each cell. I could not get the "-1" to work right but can work around that if it is not possible. The "0" and "1" will work fine.

This is for a trading scenario similar to a heads or tails (win /loss) simulation but with the ability to program the "win" percentage rate.

Is this possible? If so how do I do it?

Thank you,

Jason

PS. I did look at the other threads but could not figure out what would work in my situation.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
FYI: If I don't add the "+0" at the end of the formula it still generates the number but in a format that I cannot add the results with. If I make a column of numbers the SUM of that column always comes out zero. But when I add "+0" to the formula I am able to add up the results.

Upvote 0
The formula in post#2 returns text without the +0; the one in post 4 returns a number.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I see what I did. I left the quotation marks in.

I put: =IF(RAND()<0.6,"1","-1")

Instead of:
=IF(RAND()<0.6, 1,-1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back