Rank function using a conditional

xpous

Hi:

I have a table with 3 columns (NAME, ROOM, GRADE). I would like to be able to have a 4th column using the Rank function to have the NAMES ranked by GRADE but depending on the ROOM. So, in the 4th column, I should have 3 NAMES ranked as 1 if I have 3 ROOMS. The ROOMS are not numeric. They have a name too like (RED, GREEN, BLUE).

I'm breaking my head trying to figure out how can I do that without any luck. Can you please help?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Could you post an example?
I'm not sure I understand what the result is supposed to look like.

Here is a somewhat generally aimed shot in the dark.

Excel 2007
ABCDEF
1NAMEROOMGRADEROOMTop Grade
2SamGreen95BlueSusan
3PaulRed80GreenJessica
4JoeBlue75RedPaul
5SusanGreen90
6JessicaGreen96
7RalphBlue94
8BrianBlue55
9ReneeRed40
10JosieRed80
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2{=LOOKUP(MAX(($C$2:$C$10)*($B$2:$B$10=E2)),$C$2:$C$10,$A$2:$A$10)}
F3{=LOOKUP(MAX(($C$2:$C$10)*($B$2:$B$10=E3)),$C$2:$C$10,$A$2:$A$10)}
F4{=LOOKUP(MAX(($C$2:$C$10)*($B$2:$B$10=E4)),$C$2:$C$10,$A$2:$A$10)}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi:

You have the data table right BiocideJ. The only thing is that I need Rank function, not Max.

Upvote 0
Hi:

You have the data table right BiocideJ. The only thing is that I need Rank function, not Max.

Then I definitely need an example. How do you expect to see the ranks? The way you are describing what you want it seems like you could get your results simply by sorting the columns.

Upvote 0
Like everything in Excel, there are many ways to get to a result and sorting may be a manual way of doing it but, that's not what I need.

I need a way that I could just replace the values of the first 3 columns and the Rank could be automatically generated. I should see in that 4th column (the Ranking) with 1,5,3,2,1,6,4,3,... the 1 could be repeated because there will always be a 1st ranked per ROOM. So, then I could know how the NAME is RANK per ROOM.

Upvote 0
Using the data sample kindly provided by BiocideJ in #3, maybe (Excel 2007 or higher)

D2
=COUNTIFS($B:$B,B2,$C:$C,">"&C2)+1
copy down

If you want to break the ties, for example Paul and Josie in Group Red, the formula can be adjusted.

M.

Upvote 0
Using the data sample kindly provided by BiocideJ in #3, maybe (Excel 2007 or higher)

D2
copy down

If you want to break the ties, for example Paul and Josie in Group Red, the formula can be adjusted.

M.

Brilliant. Provides the same results a rank function would provide also. (i.e. multiple #1's)

Upvote 0
I can see the confusion here... Biocide's table was nice to see, but I did get puzzled when "Susan" got the top grade but Susan isn't even in Blue group (in Green group) and the top grade of Green group is actually Jessica.

I see that Marcelo Branco's solution works well. I hadn't even known that a column can be selected without a row number before, i.e. $B:$B would select entire B column (no need to actually specify number of rows).

Nice to learn several things today (first day on the forum after registering back in March). Thanks to xpous for posting this topic then.

* CalvinTy

Upvote 0
Brilliant. Provides the same results a rank function would provide also. (i.e. multiple #1's)

Thank you.

To break the ties instead of

this
=COUNTIFS($B:$B,B2,$C:$C,">"&C2)+COUNTIFS($B$2:B2,B2,$C$2:C2,C2)

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fionalofthouse

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back