Ranking help

christinekenziee

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to rank students in such a way so that if they receive a zero it will not rank them it will skip over them but then if two students have the same score they will receive the same rank. I also would like it where it will not jump around with the ranks.
Example of how I would like it to look:
1646757966642.png

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Hello Christine,

I did some testing and this is working on my end. You will just need to change the ranges to fit your data set.

Excel Formula:
=IF(A2=0,"",SUMPRODUCT((A2<=$A$2:$A$18)/COUNTIF($A$2:$A$18,$A$2:$A$18)))

Upvote 0
Hello Christine,

I did some testing and this is working on my end. You will just need to change the ranges to fit your data set.

Excel Formula:
=IF(A2=0,"",SUMPRODUCT((A2<=$A$2:$A$18)/COUNTIF($A$2:$A$18,$A$2:$A$18)))
Awesome that works perfectly, thank you!

Could you possibly answer this question now?
I am trying to find an average over of multiple ranks for the same student on different topics. The columns are not consecutive and I would like to skip blanks. So if that ranked 2nd, 4th, 6th and then did not rank on the 4th topic and got blank I would like the formula to skip that 4th topic. So it would only be averaging the first 3 topics.
1646762922475.png

Upvote 0
You can just use the average function in excel and it'll do it for you. Since the formula you are using returns a blank cell instead of a number, excel wont include that in the average :)

Im just assuming your columns start at A in the picture above. This formula should work for you. I put an if error for those bottom two rows that have no rank at all to put in a N/A you can change that to whatever suits your workbook best.

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(AVERAGE(C3,F3,H3,J3),"N/A")

If you dont want to have decimal places and show only whole ranks, you can either change the cell formats or just add the round function to the formula.

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(ROUND(AVERAGE(C3,F3,H3,J3),0),"N/A")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back