Ranking time slots based on BIN info

omni72

First of all, I have not searched the forum for a solution to my situation. But hear me out, the reason I haven't searched for it is that I'm not sure how to even condense what I'm trying to do into a useful search string. Which also means, I don't even know how well I will be able to translate what I want to do into a decent question here. Okay, disclaimer made<gs id="b82c0561-6ab4-4448-b660-83bdd6c97231" ginger_software_uiphraseguid="2d65a599-9f35-4eab-b8ee-34b0da68fa67" class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark"> ...

I have a column of values (time slots), let's call it Column C and name it Time. Each cell in Column C represents a 10-<gs id="20e88d35-7e73-4c94-b725-8283ef599c31" ginger_software_uiphraseguid="9f82656f-b3fa-4dce-a34c-3e7876ac28b6" class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark">min slice</gs> of the day, so C2 would equal 08:50, C3 would equal 08:40, C4 would equal 08:30, and so on.

Column H is Volume. In Column H, each cell equals the total number of contracts traded within one of those 10-min slices from Column C. So H2 would equal 6028, H3 would equal 42003, H4 would equal 63737, and so on.

Those are the only two columns I'm working with, as far as source data.

What I want to do is rank the top 10 time slots from Column C based on how frequently they have the most volume in Column H. Since it is volume we're talking about, I created Bins with containers of 7000. So instead of trying to rank the time slots based purely on Column H data, I'm actually trying to rank Column C by how often it is represented in higher volume Bins.

Rather than keep rambling this out, I'm going to post this as is and try to better shape my question/purpose based on questions or feedback I get. As I said, I'm not totally sure how to wrap my head around what I'm trying to do so it's difficult for me to translate it into a nice and neat question for the forum.

I sincerely hope that makes sense and will be more than happy to help clarify.

Thanks in advance and take care<gs id="6bc2c459-1cfc-46f8-b110-9920715dfad8" ginger_software_uiphraseguid="c2a6ac5f-b614-4f44-8e4b-2fe348a32e6c" class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark"> -</gs>

Derek</gs>

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
You could investigate the use of the function FREQUENCY.

Also, posting some sample data might get your query addressed more quickly. {See my signature below for instructions about installing an HTML maker.}

Upvote 0
You could investigate the use of the function FREQUENCY.

Also, posting some sample data might get your query addressed more quickly. {See my signature below for instructions about installing an HTML maker.}

Hi DRSteele - Thank you for your reply and suggestions. While I have to admit I am very unfamiliar with using FREQUENCY, I did start playing with it a bit today. It may very well be that FREQUENCY contains an elegant solution for my project.

Meanwhile, I will check out your link & see what I can do about sharing some data that would help readers.

Thanks & take care -

Derek

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sphere2215

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back