Re-Occuring Error with Linked Cells

Shiremaid

Board Regular
So we have this spreadsheet of all the materials we use in our shop that includes pricing.
We have a separate sheet for pricing jobs that links to parts of the materials sheets.
Usually this works fine, but for some reason every once in a while the Estimate Sheet will suddenly start showing the wrong values in linked cells.

For example:

If Cell B29 in the Materials Sheet is "Item 25"
And Cell A2 in Estimate Sheet is linked to B29 in Materials...
9 times out of 10 the Estimate Sheet will show "Item 25" like it's supposed to.

However, everyone once in a while it will suddenly show "Item 38" instead but still show as leading to Materials B29 in the formula

If I double click to edit the cell and the hit enter without changing anything, suddenly the correct value shows up again.

But why was it showing the wrong result in the first place and how can I keep this from happening in the future?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I can't comment on why this might do this in the first place, but when I've encountered things like this in the past it's been related to the Workbook Calculation setting, especially when the file is shared on the network. You can check this under Excel Options -> Formulas, and set it to Automatic. You can also press F9 to calculate the sheet in cases where it's already set to Automatic, but you can see that the data isn't showing as expected.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKN2GO

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back