Real Estate Cash Flow Model - IF forumulas

kvoigt

Hi - Im new to the forum. I working on a pretty basic cash flow model that calculates investment metrics on a developing and selling residential land lots.

The basic scenario is that the investor buys a piece of land, spends development dollars and sells the land as individual lots over time. The model includes receiving debt funding (leverage) from a bank as well as future funding based on future development expenses at a set loan to value (LTV). For example, if there's a million dollars in future development expenses, and the set LTV is 65%, then at the time the $1MM in development expenses hits the cash flow, 35% is funding by the investor as "equity" and 65% is funding by the lender as a draw against the loan.

The curve ball is that now the structure will be all the required equity is funded day 1 (if needed) and the loan will then fund up to the maximum LTV.

For example, if the purchase price of the land is $2MM and there's an additional $1MM in development expenses, the total cost of the investment would then be $3MM. If the bank's LTV is 50%, then the required equity on the total investment would equal 50% of the $3MM or $1.5MM. In this scenario, the initial equity would be $1.5MM and the bank would fund the remaining $500k to purchase the land as well as 100% of the future $1MM in development expenses.

Now lets say say the land price is $1MM and there's an additional $2MM in development expenses and the LTV is 50%. In this scenario, the total equity of $1.5MM exceeds the initial $1MM purchase price of the land. So the equity would fund 100% of the purchase price and then 50% (LTV) of the remaining development expenses until the equity reaches the $1.5MM total. Once the equity reaches the $1.5MM total, the bank would then fund 100% of the development expenses.

I'm having trouble figuring a clean way to automate this within the excel model so that you can quickly adjust certain assumptions and everything flows through.

If possible I can attach a worksheet with an attempt to accomplish what I've described.

Not sure if anyone would be able to help me pull this together, but I thought I'd at lease ask!

Thanks,
Kris

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Welcome to the Board!

If possible I can attach a worksheet with an attempt to accomplish what I've described.

You can post screen shots with the Board's HTML Maker (see the link in my sig).

Upvote 0
Hmm... Tried to open and got a message that says Access to VB is not trusted... any other way to share the workbook?

Upvote 0
You need to go into Excel Options-->Trust Center-->Trust Center Settings-->Macro Settings-->Trust access to the VBA project object model.

That allows Excel to access the add-in.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back