Really messed up need help R:Excel 2000 SR1

J1406

Got computer from son, had pre installed MS Office 2000 SR1. It's W98 & about 4+ years old. I messed Excel up. What happened is I tried installing add-in tool to convert an Excel SS to Access, It worked but there after when I rebooted Excel was 'illegal'. For a while I still had all .xls on file. Now all the ss have just the Windows icon. I have office 97 cds from on my old computer but I don't want to mess up the remaining Office 2000 sr1 applications (Word, etc) that still operate on the newer computer. Is there a resource or place I can just get for Excel 2000 sr1? or are there any suggestions? I tried the reinstall but it keeps asking to place the 2000 sr1 in drive! My son travels & says he doesn't have cd & besides I only need to re-install Excel but have searched & found out either buy Offce 2000 SR1, can't afford that.
am really concerned as I had very important SS on the newer computer & am very worried! I would really appreciate comments!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Meant to mention that it is MS Office 2000 Professional Sr1. In my continuing search for resolution to my horrible dilemma I've seen some Office 2000 Premium, does anyone know what the difference is? Did it come before 2000 Professional? Sorry about so many questions, just a senior citizen who really needs some help!

Upvote 0
Invalid page fault in moduel EXCE.EXE at 0187:302 and so on NOW is appearing...the ss now shows the exel icon,instead of thw WindowsIcon, but when I try to load any ss it reads "invalid page fault, etc..." BUT THEN I am able to choose any ss & "send to the drive A" (copy to disk) & it loads on the old computer as a legal ss & opens with no problem on the old computer..

Upvote 0
You say that,
Got computer from son, had pre installed MS Office 2000 SR1. It's W98 & about 4+ years old.
Well, all programs prior to Windows XP depend on DOS to be able to run. However, using a newer version of a program than the operating system's version seems to me just asking for trouble! After all, an older version of an operation system (Windows 98) can't possibly know of any changes to a program, such as Excel, issued AFTER 1998! So, it's not difficult to understand that problems are just around the corner for such combinations of operating system and programs.

You say that your SS's seem to run fine on your old computer. Well, if you are using Excel 97 with Windows 98, that's fine, and no problems should occur, UNLESS you have used new Excel functions or commands that are not available on Excel 97.

To use Office 2000, you should have a Windows version of a later date then the Office 2000 version.

My recommendation would be to use your Windows 98 with Excel 97, and any other Office 97 programs only.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back