Reduce File Size

aabbasi

Board Regular
Hi:

Is there a way to reduce the Excel file size considerably? This excel file is huge with many sheets. I do not like to use Zip function.

Thank you

Just add a procedure to unprotect/protect to the code:

<font face=Tahoma>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> wks <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> wks
                .Unprotect "xyz"
                AnyMerged = wks.UsedRange.MergeCells
                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> AnyMerged = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
                    myLastRow = 0
                    myLastCol = 0
                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> dummyRng = .UsedRange
                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN>
                        myLastRow = _
                        .Cells.Find("*", after:=.Cells(1), _
                        LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlWhole, _
                        searchdirection:=xlPrevious, _
                        searchorder:=xlByRows).Row
                        myLastCol = _
                        .Cells.Find("*", after:=.Cells(1), _
                        LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlWhole, _
                        searchdirection:=xlPrevious, _
                        searchorder:=xlByColumns).Column
                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> myLastRow * myLastCol = 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
                        .Columns.Delete
                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN>
                        .Range(.Cells(myLastRow + 1, 1), _
                        .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1)).EntireRow.Delete
                        .Range(.Cells(1, myLastCol + 1), _
                        .Cells(1, .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Delete
                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
                .Protect "xyz"
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> wks
</FONT>

Smitty

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
lost charts

The macro worked great except that on three sheets I lost the chart when I ran it. After adding the charts back the size of the file was 1/4 the size and macros that iterated over the size of the sheets ran much faster.

Why do I lose some, but not all of my charts? How can that be prevented.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
<table id="post315607" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_315607" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255);">
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) 'From: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused ' Re-set used range Dim myLastRow As Long Dim myLastCol As Long Dim wks As Worksheet Dim dummyRng As Range For Each wks In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets With wks myLastRow = 0 myLastCol = 0 Set dummyRng = .UsedRange On Error Resume Next myLastRow = _ .Cells.Find("*", after:=.Cells(1), _ LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlWhole, _ searchdirection:=xlPrevious, _ searchorder:=xlByRows).Row myLastCol = _ .Cells.Find("*", after:=.Cells(1), _ LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlWhole, _ searchdirection:=xlPrevious, _ searchorder:=xlByColumns).Column On Error GoTo 0 If myLastRow * myLastCol = 0 Then .Columns.Delete Else .Range(.Cells(myLastRow + 1, 1), _ .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1)).EntireRow.Delete .Range(.Cells(1, myLastCol + 1), _ .Cells(1, .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Delete End If End With Next wks End Sub</pre>
HTH

Mike
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255); border-width: 0px 1px 1px; border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255); -moz-border-top-colors: none; -moz-border-right-colors: none; -moz-border-bottom-colors: none; -moz-border-left-colors: none; -moz-border-image: none;">
user_offline.gif
</td> <td class="alt1" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255); border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255) -moz-use-text-color; -moz-border-top-colors: none; -moz-border-right-colors: none; -moz-border-bottom-colors: none; -moz-border-left-colors: none; -moz-border-image: none;" align="right"> </td></tr></tbody></table>
I had to put another If statement in the above for sheets which more than 250 columns occupied so that it didn't try to delete those last few columns in that case. You could probably get away with just bypassing

if mylastcol > 255 then
else
.Range(.Cells(1, myLastCol + 1), _ .Cells(1, .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Delete

end if

</pre>
the code that clears out unused columns as in the example just above this text. On my workbook, I had several sheets that used all 256 columns and when the macro got to those, it blew up because now it was trying to look at columns beyond column IV.

Upvote 0
I am getting an error on below line

"Application defined or object defiened error"

.Cells(1, .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Delete

Upvote 0
Hi All. I am trying to use this code as well but not sure if im doing it right.
I copied entire thing and insert this int he project side of my VBA under a new module.

but when i hit run, nothing happens and my file is still >15mb for no apparent reason.

Can you please help me how to use this?
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammMcCandless

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back