Referencing Table Cells in Another Table

mikeymikeymike

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi guys,

This problem is driving me crazy and also making my spreadsheet extremely slow. Assume I have a table called Table1 and another called Table2. Both have 3 rows and 3 columns including headers and the first column which is the name of people, for example. The names column in both table are the same. How do I EASILY reference different cells in Table2 from Table1 without using index, vlookup, etc.? The hard way that I've been filling my spreadsheet with, slowing it down is something like this:

(filling out a cell in Table2)
=index(Table1;[@row];match(columnx;Table1[#headers];0))

I can't for the life of me figure out if there's an easier way to do this. Am I overthinking too much? I don't have much experience, so I'm sure that plays a part.

Thanks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).

mrshl9898

You could add them to your data model in powerpivot and create a new pivot table to show what you need.

Look up how to enable it, then select a table and go PowerPivot > Add to data model.

Then go to PowerPivot > Manage, A window pops up then Home > Diagram view and drag the name field from one table to the other to create a relationship.

Then Insert > Pivot Table, click use external data source, choose connection, tables, and select the 2 tables.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer01

This Week's Hot Topics

• Copy entire row if CountA <>0 to another sheet
    [B]I want to copy entire row if CountA <>0 for column J7:AM7 (headers on J6:AM6) and so on till the last used cell is column D and paste the...
  • Select last used Row in Table
    I have created a Table in a Worksheet which is locked to prevent user errors and protect formula. Some of the cells require freetext entries which...
  • excel workbook: do not allow certain file name
    Hello all, Don't think this has ever been asked before, but how do I restrict file save [Before_Save Event] if the name of the file being saved...
  • fixing problem autofilter
    hello i need help about my code when i search by code in textbox it doesn't show anything this is my data [ATTACH type="full"...
  • “Weight”
    Hi, i’ve got a long sheet filled with weights such as kg,g,L & ml. i can build a formula to convert kg into g and liter into ml. How ever, my...
  • How to capitalize everything before a certain character?
    In column A, I have some text: Hello good day.mp3 Hello good day.flac etc. I'd like to capitalize everything before the period. I don't need the...