Remove the Characters and the Content between Them Using FILTERXML & SUBSTITUTE

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a table of input of words such as:
Input
Result
Biology[23], Chemistry, Physics[17], History, [21]Geography[11]Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography
Mathematics,[27] Science (Terminated), [51]English,[36] History,[79] Music[3]Mathematics, Science, English, History, Music
Accounting (Suspended), Economics[25]Accounting, Economics
Arts, Literature (Begins on 7/7/2022)[6]Arts, Literature
May I know what formula should I apply in the Result column so that:
  1. the square brackets along with the contents inside the square brackets can be removed?
  2. the round brackets along with the contents inside the round brackets can be removed?
  3. The formula in the result column should be the same for every row and it uses colon for cell reference (e.g. C3:C987) so that drag and fill of formula can be omitted.
  4. The result should be as shown in the column on the right.
I tried to use the formula below, but it can only remove the first instance of square bracket and its contents:
=IFERROR(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&IFERROR(SUBSTITUTE(C3:C987,MID(LEFT(C3:C987,FIND("]",C3:C987)),FIND("[",C3:C987),LEN(C3:C987)),""),C3:C987)&"</b></a>","//b"),"")

May I know how can I improve the formula? Or are there any better formula?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi @Tom.Jones , I confirm that your proposal also works for the 2010 version (y)
Thanks Dante, must be my failing memory then (unfortunately it is happening with more regular frequency these days). :(

Other considerations are whether the original data is the result of formulas or not (if formulas Find/Replace would not work) and whether automatic updates are wanted if the data changes without having to do the manual (or vba) process again. I note that the OP has chosen an automatic update via the LAMBDA option.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andile

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back