Remove variable length number from string

Philip041

Board Regular
Hello all,

Looking for some help trying to clean some data I have. I have a list of names which have been given a number suffix but unfortunately not in the same way.

My attempt so far: in cell A1 I have "Johnathan Green - 159230". In cell B1 I put "=LEFT(B2, LEN(B2)-9)" to give me just the name, removing the number and also the " - " which was sandwiched between the name and the number.

Complication though:
  • The numbers are not always the same length, most often they are 5 or 6 digits long but I have found others which are 3 or 4.
  • The " - " sandwich between the name and the number is sometimes a ":"
  • Sometimes there are numbers (or hyphens or colons) in the name eg. "Johnathan1 Green - 159230", or "Johnathan - Green - 159230" etc. However as a rule the part I want to get rid of always starts with a " - " or ":" (it just might not be the first time that a " - " ":" appears in the string).

I hope that makes sense. Any help much appreciated!

Philip

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
This should work for the items where the - or : separate the name from the number. If the - or : is in the middle of the name then it will cut off the name after the - or :.
Code:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("-",A1)),TRIM(LEFT(A1,SEARCH("-",A1)-1)),TRIM(LEFT(A1,SEARCH(":",A1)-1)))

Upvote 0
@Philip041, this should work for all cases, without affecting numbers, dashes or colons elsewhere in the string:

Code:
=TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(A1,":","-"),LEN(A1)-8)-1))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Philip,

If you're comfortable with a vba approach, the following simply deletes all non-alpha characters from the name...

Code:
Sub AlphaOnlyArray()
Dim arr As Variant
Dim rng As Range
Dim i As Long, j As Long
Dim str As String

Set rng = Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row)
arr = rng
For i = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr)
    str = arr(i, 1)
    For j = Len(str) To 1 Step -1
        If Not LCase(Mid(str, j, 1)) Like "[a-z]" And Mid(str, j, 1) <> " " Then _
            str = Replace(str, Mid(str, j, 1), "")
    Next j
    arr(i, 1) = Trim(Replace(str, "  ", " "))
Next i
Range("B1:B" & UBound(arr)) = arr
End Sub

Cheers,

tonyyy

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Follow up question on this! I'm trying now to extract the number from the end of the text string. I have a text string as before "Johnathan1 Green - 159230" and I want to extract the "159230" but there are a few complications as before:

• The numbers are not always the same length, most often they are 5 or 6 digits long but I have found others which are 3 or 4.
  • The " - " sandwich between the name and the number is sometimes a ":"
  • Sometimes there are numbers (or hyphens or colons) in the name eg. "Johnathan1 Green - 159230", or "Johnathan - Green - 159230" etc. However as a rule the part I want to get rid of always starts with a " - " or ":" (it just might not be the first time that a " - " ":" appears in the string).

I had tried measuring the length of the name excluding the number (using the answer in the original question above) and then returning the remaining characters using the RIGHT function but get unstuck due to the name and number being separated by a variable number of characters.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi

Try :-
Excel Workbook
AB
2Johnathan - Green - 159230159230
Philip041
Excel 2007
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",30)),30))

Assuming that a space precedes the number.

hth

Upvote 0
Thanks Mike, sorry I didn't make clear that sometimes it could be separate by just a colon eg. "Johnathan Green:159230"..

Upvote 0
I managed to get there in the end. This seems to work ok, it's just previous answers rearranged.

=TRIM(RIGHT(D2,LEN(D2)-FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(D2,":","-"),LEN(D2)-8)))

Thanks a lot for the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back