Renaming Sheets and searching queries

phimutau

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
1630281067105.png

I would like to rename 228 sheets with the teams listed in cell b2:b229. The sheets already exist and are based off a template.
The template has two cells that are web queries. ("Template" i25 for column D and "Template" ac25 for Column E)
These web queries are listed in columns D and E and are associated with each team.

1630281771338.png

Can someone help me with renaming these 228 sheets and searching their respective queries? Doing this manually without VBA would take me a month.

Once inside the query I select "disable date recognition" so that my data does not show up as dates. Will this cause problems?

Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
See if this macro works for you. Test it on a copy of your workbook.

The macro expects the sheet containing the data shown in your first image to be named "Template" - change ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Template") if it has a different name.

As a 'safety catch' the macro has a Yes/No prompt if it finds the sheet to be renamed and only renames the sheet if you click 'Yes'. Delete the If MsgBox ... Then and corresponding End If statements once you've confirmed that the macro is working correctly.

VBA Code:
Public Sub Rename_Web_Query_Sheets()

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim qt As QueryTable
    Dim qtArray() As String, n As Long
    Dim r As Long
    Dim foundIndex As Long

'Create array of all web queries for fast searching

n = 0
    For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
        For Each qt In ws.QueryTables
            n = n + 1
            ReDim Preserve qtArray(1 To 2, 1 To n)
            qtArray(1, n) = qt.Connection
            qtArray(2, n) = qt.Destination.Worksheet.Name
        Next
    Next

With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Template")

For r = 2 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row

'Search array for sheet containing query connection in column D

foundIndex = 0
            n = 1
            While n <= UBound(qtArray, 2) And foundIndex = 0
                If InStr(qtArray(1, n), .Cells(r, "D").Value) Then foundIndex = n
                n = n + 1
            Wend

If foundIndex <> 0 Then
                'Rename found sheet
                If MsgBox(.Name & " sheet row " & r & vbCrLf & "Web query connection " & .Cells(r, "D").Value & " found in sheet " & qtArray(2, foundIndex) & vbCrLf & _
                          "Rename " & qtArray(2, foundIndex) & " as " & .Cells(r, "B").Value & "?", vbInformation + vbYesNo, "Web query found") = vbYes Then
                    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(qtArray(2, foundIndex)).Name = .Cells(r, "B").Value
                End If
            Else
                'Sheet not found
                MsgBox .Name & " sheet row " & r & vbCrLf & "Web query connection not found for " & .Cells(r, "D").Value, vbExclamation, "Web query not found"
            End If

Next

End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for replying. I tried to run it and this is the message I got along with the corresponding debug highlight. The first sheet with the list of schools and their corresponding web addresses is named "List". The second sheet with red conditional formatting is named "Template". Then there are 228 more sheets named Template (229), Template (228), and so on all the way to Template (2).

I appreciate the help and if there is anything I can do to make this easier please let me know.

1630370055641.png

1630370092899.png

Upvote 0
The error indicates that the code isn't finding any web queries. By web query I mean the 'legacy' web query (which is confirmed by your comment about disabling date recognition), not the new Power Query web query.

Where have you put the code? Is it in the 'main' workbook which contains the "List" sheet and the 229 template sheets, or is it in another workbook? If the code is in another workbook then you must run the macro from the 'main' workbook, i.e. the active workbook.

Since your first image data is in the "List" sheet, change:
VBA Code:
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Template")
to:
VBA Code:
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("List")
and add this line above it to display the number of web queries found in the active workbook:
VBA Code:
    MsgBox "Active workbook = " & ActiveWorkbook.Name & vbCrLf & "Number of web queries = " & n
Run the macro and post the output shown in the message.

Upvote 0
I must be doing something wrong. The list in column D and E are just web addresses that I normally manually put in by going to "Data", then to "From Web". I copy and paste that address and then set up my parameters by disabling date recognition and then unchecking the adjust column box once I am back in the excel sheet. I am self taught with all of my excel knowledge and I am still a pretty big novice. I do appreciate your help. I would be willing to send you the file if you wanted, and donate to venmo or paypal for your time.

Upvote 0
You haven't answered my question and it's still not clear whether you're talking about legacy web queries or Power Query web queries. With the former, Excel displays a mini web browser with yellow arrows showing the HTML tables which can be imported, whereas the latter lets you drill down to the required data and has a 'Transform Data' button. Post some screenshots showing how you create the web query so that we can see which type it is.

No payment can be offered or accepted on this forum.

Upvote 0
1630939943912.png

First step - copy web address into new web query

1630940085648.png

Second Step - Alt + O-F-D

1630940228726.png

Third Step - Alt+R

1630940304098.png

Fourth Step - Alt+A then Enter Enter

My web query is created. I have to do this twice per sheet to get the player ratings and then the player formations.

Does that help? I think this is the legacy method you were speaking of.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is a legacy web query.

Please answer my question in post 4 (Where have you put the code?), do the code changes and post the MsgBox output.

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you mean by code? I have no code that I am aware of. I put the web queries in I25 and AC25 respectively for each rating query and formation query. I bet I am frustrating.

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you mean by code?
My VBA code (macro) in post 2, which you ran and showed the result of in post 3!

To make it easier for you, use this VBA code macro instead. Paste all this code into a new regular module in the same workbook as your data and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file). See the tutorial here:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Public Sub Rename_Web_Query_Sheets()

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim qt As QueryTable
    Dim qtArray() As String, qtArrayLen As Long
    Dim r As Long, n As Long
    Dim foundIndex As Long

'Create array of all web queries for fast searching

qtArrayLen = 0
    For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
        For Each qt In ws.QueryTables
            Debug.Print qt.Connection, qt.Destination.Worksheet.Name, qt.Destination.Address
            qtArrayLen = qtArrayLen + 1
            ReDim Preserve qtArray(1 To 2, 1 To qtArrayLen)
            qtArray(1, qtArrayLen) = qt.Connection
            qtArray(2, qtArrayLen) = qt.Destination.Worksheet.Name
        Next
    Next

MsgBox "Active workbook = " & ActiveWorkbook.Name & vbCrLf & "Number of web queries = " & qtArrayLen

Debug.Print "qtArrayLen = " & qtArrayLen
    Debug.Print qtArray(1, 1), qtArray(2, 1)
    Debug.Print qtArray(1, 2), qtArray(2, 2)

With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("List")

For r = 2 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row

'Search array for sheet containing query connection in column D

Debug.Print r, .Cells(r, "D").Value
            foundIndex = 0
            n = 1
            While n <= UBound(qtArray, 2) And foundIndex = 0
                Debug.Print n, qtArray(1, n), qtArray(2, n)
                If InStr(qtArray(1, n), .Cells(r, "D").Value) Then foundIndex = n
                n = n + 1
            Wend

If foundIndex <> 0 Then
                'Rename found sheet
                Debug.Print "found " & qtArray(1, foundIndex), qtArray(2, foundIndex)
                If MsgBox(.Name & " sheet row : " & r & vbCrLf & "Web query connection : " & .Cells(r, "D").Value & vbCrLf & "Found in sheet : " & qtArray(2, foundIndex) & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                          "Rename sheet " & qtArray(2, foundIndex) & " as " & .Cells(r, "B").Value & "?", vbInformation + vbYesNo, "Web query found") = vbYes Then
                    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(qtArray(2, foundIndex)).Name = .Cells(r, "B").Value
                End If
            Else
                'Sheet not found
                MsgBox .Name & " sheet row : " & r & vbCrLf & "Web query connection not found for " & .Cells(r, "D").Value, vbExclamation, "Web query not found"
            End If

Next

End With

End Sub
Run the Rename_Web_Query_Sheets macro and post the MsgBox output.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back