reorder data in a chart

RodneyW

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got two columns of data, the first column has dates, specifically months in this format 1/1/22,, 2/1/22, 3/1/22 and so on until it ends with 12/1/23. The second column is simply 1, 2 3 or 4 digit numbers pulled by formula from another sheet.

I highlight all of the data, including the column headers and select "Insert" and choose from the recommended charts. Right now it's set for a line chart but the issue I'm about to describe happens regardless of what type of chart I choose.

The issue is that the data appears oldest to newest, which is the way I have the data populating, so that makes sense. However, if I change the data to 12/1/23, 11/1/23, 10/1/23 and so on until I get to 1/1/22, highlight again and look at the chart options, the resulting chart will still show the oldest data (1/1/22) first ... foremost left as opposed to having the newest data (12/1/23) first/foremost left. How can I make it so the newest data show up in the foremost left position?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
@RodneyW , would you be kind enough to post the data the chart is based on. Also confirm the cells that have the dates are indeed dates and not text (select cells, change format to GENERAL - be sure they convert to a date serial number value).

Upvote 0
Solution
@RodneyW , would you be kind enough to post the data the chart is based on. Also confirm the cells that have the dates are indeed dates and not text (select cells, change format to GENERAL - be sure they convert to a date serial number value).
Awooha... thank you for your reply. I switched the format of the dates to General and it did convert the date to the serial number value. After doing that, the data showed in the desired order. That created another issue, the dates on the chart itself showed the serial number value as opposed to the month/year. Solution --- Within the chart itself I was able to format the values so they showed the desired format.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you were able to figure something out. But, I think you should be able to have those dates in your source data formatted as dates. There is an indicator in the chart formatting window to use "source format" or override. Have you considered still leaving your source data formatted as the date format you wish, and then over-over-riding with a format you select(the same or a different date format).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back