Replacing bullets with html tags for csv load

FuriousD

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I recently needed to add bullet points to a file and someone on here was able to help. Turns out we actually need to add html tags to the file for upload and I'm hoping there is a way for us to use a formula to replace bullets with the <li> </li> tags to have bullets load.

Any ideas? I need to maintain the intro paragraph and lines, which is leading me to more of a find/replace solution without bullets. Thanks in advance

Current:What I need excel to display:
Your text goes here. Sample text showing paragraph intro followed by bullet items.
  • Line 1
  • Line 2
  • Line 3
Your text goes here. Sample text showing paragraph intro followed by bullet items.

<li> Line 1 </li>
<li> Line 2 </li>
<li> Line 3 </li>

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Thank you, I think this is really close. I did remove the / from the first tag (<li> instead of </li>)

Here's the result I see. My issue is that I assume the closing html tag being added to the non-bullet item will cause an error (RED text below). I dont know for sure if it will, but I'm hoping not to run into any errors as it takes a while to get these files processed by our technical team. Thoughts on how to achieve the result without the end tag in the first line?

Output Example:

Your text goes here. Sample text showing paragraph intro followed by bullet items. </li>

<li> Text 1 </li>
<li> Text 2 </li>

Try

Book3
ABC
2• Line 1 • Line 2 • Line 3</li> Line 1 </li> </li> Line 2 </li> </li> Line 3 </li>
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTSPLIT(A2,CHAR(10)),"•","</li>")&" </li>")

Upvote 0
The other option that might be easier would be if I can split the bullet list items into a separate column? Like text to columns with a bullet point delimiter, but to take all bullet items into one separate cell??

From here I could easily add the tags and concatenate?

Current (A1)Desired State Intro (A2)Desired State Bullets (A3)
  • Line 1
  • Line 2
  • Line 3
  • Line 1
  • Line 2
  • Line 3

Upvote 0
Just remove "/" from SUBSTITUTE

=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTSPLIT(A2,CHAR(10)),"•","</li>")&" </li>")

Try

Book3
ABC
2• Line 1 • Line 2 • Line 3<li> Line 1 </li> <li> Line 2 </li> <li> Line 3 </li>
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTSPLIT(A2,CHAR(10)),"•","<li>")&" </li>")

Upvote 0
Thanks again for the quick reply. I did remove the / from the forumula. Here is what I have (my data is in O2).

=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTSPLIT(O2,CHAR(10)),"•","<li>")&" </li>")

However the results are showing as below. All of the RED tags do not have bullets associated to them but are adding a closing html tag. Is there a way to only have this for the bullet list? If not, is there an easy way to split the bullet list into new column? I've tried using a bullet character for delimiter, but its not working.

Maintains application systems that are beyond the development stage and running in the daily operations of the firm. </li>
May have overall ownership of a product or app, gathering requirements, managing and prioritizing changes </li>
Specializes in configuring and supporting applications (e.g. SaaS). A Supervisor of Support level employees. May include supervising offshore resources and/or contract resources. </li>
</li>
Responsibilities typically include: </li>
<li> Setting day-to-day operational objectives and KPIs for team. </li>
<li> Defining technical requirements </li>
<li> Managing quality issues </li>
<li> Handling routine problems, escalating when necessary </li>
<li> Ensuring IT Compliance policies and procedures are understood and followed. </li>

Just remove "/" from SUBSTITUTE

=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTSPLIT(A2,CHAR(10)),"•","</li>")&" </li>")

Try

Book3
ABC
2• Line 1 • Line 2 • Line 3<li> Line 1 </li> <li> Line 2 </li> <li> Line 3 </li>
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTSPLIT(A2,CHAR(10)),"•","<li>")&" </li>")

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, but its not working. The first solution was closer, but I think it might actually be easier to split the cells and then insert the changes using your formula above. I'll start a separate thread.

Upvote 0
In what way it's not working?
What error you are getting?

Upvote 0
In what way it's not working?
What error you are getting?
Actually - I was wrong...it does appear to be working! My formatting in the cell needed to be updated (it appeared to be cutting out text).

I'll update my file and pass to our technical team, but I believe this is the solution!!!! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back