Replacing % values by finding them, and calculating by another % (within selection)

zsnemeth

Dear All,

I have the following problem:

There is a big table with many various types of values.
Common in them, that all the % values are typed there by typing "%" after the numbers, instead of being 0,25 or so, and formatted as percentage.
So I need to change them all, by an other % (calculated all of them).
There are some only staying in a cell alone, but some of them are in the middle of a text.

Let's say, that the cell A1 contains the value: 80%
(All the percentages within the original selection, need to be calculated with this)

In the example it will be like:

Original values in selection:
100%
80%
30%
25,6%
I need to change every - I mean 100% - of the % values, even if it is within a sentence.
But all the other numbers, not connected with a %, like this 2 here, should not change.

Result values in slection:
80%
64%
24%
20,48%
I need to change every - I mean 80% - of the % values, even if it is within a sentence.
But all the other numbers, not connected with a %, like this 2 here, should not change.

The sentences here are only examples, demonstrating, that there may be values simply written inside a text.
I would need some clever solution to this.

It would be great, if the replacement would only take place within the actual selection.

My idea was something like looping through all the values between 0,01 and 100,00 in steps of 0,01 and make every time a different replacement (different, because calculated, here by 80%).
This looks not being an elegant way to do this, and the problem is also, that there are some other numbers (example last sentence), where we must not have to make changes.

The next thing - but I am not sure, if important - that in my table, there are several merged cells in many different size.

I hope I formed the question clearly, and I really do appreciate any kind of help.

BR,
Zsolt from Hungary

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back