Report if Text String Contains a Specific Word

CJoshuav

I have a column of cells with narratives in them. I need to flag the ones that contain specific words.

Currently, I am using

Code:
=IF(COUNT(SEARCH("dog",M2)),"Y","")

This works fine for catching everything with "dog," but it also "dogged" and "doggerel."

How do I tweak the formula so that it only catches "dog" and not words that contain that letter combination.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
You would have to add the spaces to the searched cell as well.
i.e. If the cell was "dog ate my homework"
It wouldn't find " dog " because there is no space in front of dog in the cell.

Try
=IF(COUNT(SEARCH(" dog "," "&M2&" ")),"Y","")

Upvote 0
You would have to add the spaces to the searched cell as well.
i.e. If the cell was "dog ate my homework"
It wouldn't find " dog " because there is no space in front of dog in the cell.

Try
=IF(COUNT(SEARCH(" dog "," "&M2&" ")),"Y","")
Of course, this won't work if the word "dog" is at the beginning or end of a quoted or bracketed phrase or if it is next to a comma, period, question mark, exclamation mark, dash and so on. I would also note that, as written, your formula would consider 123dog456 to be the standalone word "dog". Here is a formula that should work correctly for all these possibilities...

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("dog", A2)), AND(NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(MID("="&A2&"=", SEARCH("dog", A2), 1)), "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789"))), NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(MID("="&A2&"=", SEARCH("dog", A2)+LEN("dog")+1,1)),"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789")))))

Of course, the word "dog" can be placed in a cell and then the four instances of "dog" can be replaced with a reference to that cell (using either absolute or relative addressing depending on whether the cell reference should change as the formula is dragged down).

This can also be written as a UFD (user defined function) if desired...

Code:
[SIZE=1]Function IsWordInString(Text As String, Word As String) As Boolean
  IsWordInString = " " & UCase(Text) & " " Like "*[!A-Z0-9]" & UCase(Word) & "[!A-Z0-9]*"
End Function[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course, this won't work if the word "dog" is at the beginning or end of a quoted or bracketed phrase or if it is next to a comma, period, question mark, exclamation mark, dash and so on. I would also note that, as written, your formula would consider 123dog456 to be the standalone word "dog". Here is a formula that should work correctly for all these possibilities...

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("dog", A2)), AND(NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(MID("="&A2&"=", SEARCH("dog", A2), 1)), "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789"))), NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(MID("="&A2&"=", SEARCH("dog", A2)+LEN("dog")+1,1)),"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789")))))

Of course, the word "dog" can be placed in a cell and then the four instances of "dog" can be replaced with a reference to that cell (using either absolute or relative addressing depending on whether the cell reference should change as the formula is dragged down).

This can also be written as a UFD (user defined function) if desired...

Code:
[SIZE=1]Function IsWordInString(Text As String, Word As String) As Boolean
  IsWordInString = " " & UCase(Text) & " " Like "*[!A-Z0-9]" & UCase(Word) & "[!A-Z0-9]*"
End Function[/SIZE]
Of course, the OP wanted "Y" and "" returned, not TRUE and FALSE, so here are the above formula and UDF modified to return those values...

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("dog", A1)), IF(AND(NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(MID("="&A1&"=", SEARCH("dog", A1), 1)), "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789"))), NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(MID("="&A1&"=", SEARCH("dog", A1)+LEN("dog")+1, 1)), "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789")))),"Y",""),"")

Code:
[SIZE=1]Function IsWordInString(Text As String, Word As String) As String
  If " " & UCase(Text) & " " Like "*[!A-Z0-9]" & UCase(Word) & "[!A-Z0-9]*" Then IsWordInString = "Y"
End Function[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back