Restrict view to only user with specific department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bijayche

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello. I have been trying to find this solution in excel but not sure if this is available. Is it possible to restrict users to view only one tab in a workbook. My workbook has 30 sheets and each has department specific data. I want to restrict users to be able to view only their department data. Can this be done? Now I am sending individual email to atleast 30 people is there a way I can send just one email and restrict user access to the tabs with different data info?

This may be easier for you. I've moved all of the relevant details to a "config" tab so you shouldn't need to go into the developer tab to touch the VBA.

Here's a link to the doc: department test2.xlsm

On the Config tab, you make the list of 'departments' and which sheets they need access to. If they need more than one sheet, make more than one line for that department.
View attachment 92900

Since the config sheet will be hidden by default you'll need a way to access that. On the config sheet is an Admin password field. The default password is 'iwantin'. You can set this to whatever you want. NOTE: the font is white so nobody can look over your shoulder and see it.

When you enter the Admin password in the Home sheet, it will unhide ALL sheets, including the config tab.

View attachment 92901

Hi Candyman :)
I followed the forums suggestion of creating a new thread given the age of this thread. However, in case you are watching, I created a thread referencing your solution in this thread.
You can see my thread, very related to this one, here: Restricting specific user sheets

Sorry for the direct ping, hope you don't mind, but I think your solution here is rather spot on!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi Candyman :)
I followed the forums suggestion of creating a new thread given the age of this thread. However, in case you are watching, I created a thread referencing your solution in this thread.
You can see my thread, very related to this one, here: Restricting specific user sheets

Sorry for the direct ping, hope you don't mind, but I think your solution here is rather spot on!
Right on Linki! I appreciate the cudos.

If need be, that code can be easily modified to look at username rather than department.

Upvote 0
Right on Linki! I appreciate the cudos.

If need be, that code can be easily modified to look at username rather than department.
That would be really great! Would it be the name of the O365 account or the email of the O365 account? Just thinking since an email is unique and a name might not be - I mean they are in this case (for now) :)
But I really liked how "low-tech" your solution was to maintain afterwards, makes it perfect for someone like myself. Even I am able to modify a row and column with names and sheet names haha

Upvote 0
You need to continue this in your own thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlckr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back