Return multiple strings?

blokeyhighlander

I'm smacking my head against the wall because it seems like this should be easy :oops:

How do I return string values from multiple row lookups?

I have two tables:
1. Customers (one)
2. Contacts (many)

Contacts contains email addresses that I want to put in a calculated column on the Customers table. The Contacts table has multiple rows per customer ID (multiple email addresses per contact), so =related() doesn't work. Contacts does not have a complete listing of Customer IDs, and Customers table does have some email addresses (unique rows) that aren't in the Contacts table. There will be a filter on which email addresses to use based on criteria.

Is it possible to do this?

If I can't figure it out I may just need to write a query to join the customer data into the contacts table and I should be able to make that work.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I must be missing something, but I cannot see why you would do this. If you join the tables in Power Pivot and then the client will display all of the email address associated with each customer. Pulling the multiples into the datamodel doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0
I must be missing something, but I cannot see why you would do this. If you join the tables in Power Pivot and then the client will display all of the email address associated with each customer. Pulling the multiples into the datamodel doesn't make sense to me.
You're right. I'm inexperienced in doing joins so I was trying to make it fit into something I already know, but a join makes a lot more sense.

Upvote 0
What you are looking for is CONCATENATEX. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist in any released products... :(

I can imagine pulling it off for a hard coded # of email addresses (say, 3 or whatever), ... with some pain.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back