Returning a value with conditional formatting

Tsch

Good afternoon
Is is possible to use conditional formatting to return a value?
For example if column A has multiple values such as Dog, Cat and Bird and I wanted to set it up that anytime column A has value dog column B says Woof.
If this is not possible or conditional formatting isn't the best approach i'm quite open to suggestions.
I am using Excel 2003
Thanks
Travis

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
You would need to test against the condition that causes the CF to fire.

Upvote 0
Suppose A1 contains dog, cat bird, etc. In B1 place this formula:
Code:
=IF(A1="dog","Woof","whatever else you want between these quotes")
To leave B1 blank if A1 is not "dog" use "" as the second set of quote marks.

Upvote 0
Joe
No Luck with that formula, the destination cell remains empty.
Does the cell the formatting is based on need formatted a specific way?
Thanks
Travis

Upvote 0
If you enter "dog" with no leading or trailing spaces in the cell that's referenced in the destination cell and ensure that Calculation is set to Automatic, the destination cell should show "Woof". If not, can you post that region of the worksheet using Excel Jeanie?: http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1

Upvote 0
I checked to make sure that there was not any spaces in the reference cell and had not luck. Unfortunatly i'm on a work PC and do not have admin rights so i cann't post with the excel Jeannie.
I have set up a worksheet to my example to test in and cannot get the formula to return any results.
Thanks
Travis

Upvote 0
It's an extremely simple formula. Try opening a new workbook (press ctrl + n), enter dog in A1 and the formula I posted in B1. If B1 doesn't return "Woof" there's something wrong that is not related to the formula.

Upvote 0
Your are correct that the formula is simple, i've tried new workbooks and different formating all with the same result. No value is returned to the cell with the conditional formatting formula.
I am using Excel 2003 and wanted to make sure that this will work in 03.

Upvote 0
Would this work for you:

Cell A1 - dog
Cell B1 - =IF(A1="dog", "wolf","")

If cell A1 is blank or has any other value than dog then cell B1 would be blank.

Upvote 0
Your are correct that the formula is simple, i've tried new workbooks and different formating all with the same result. No value is returned to the cell with the conditional formatting formula.
I am using Excel 2003 and wanted to make sure that this will work in 03.
The formula I posted is not a conditional formatting formula. It is entered directly in a cell. CF formulas enable formats you select to be applied to a cell when the conditions you set are met, but they do not return values.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back