Reuse formulas in multiple excel workbooks

esssti

Hi All,
Is there a way to "store" somehow formulas in excel and use them in different workbooks?
I have some formulas i need to use frequenty. Some easy and some complicated ones. Is there any solution so that i do not have to rewrite them every time or do not need to open up a previous workbook and copy and paste the formula?
I have tried defined formulas, but it only works within the same workbook, or you need the path of the excel with the defined formula, which is almost like copy and pasting the original formula from an other workbook.

Thanks!
Eszter

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
The answer to this question depends on nuances in the task that we do not know from your question. In my opinion the solutions are the things that it appears you don't want to do; however there are alternatives depending on the exact task. What is best for one workbook / formula may not necessarily work with another.

For simple formulas:-
have to rewrite them every time or
For complicated formulas:-
open up a previous workbook and copy and paste the formula?
Personally, I prefer to rewrite them regardless of complexity, if they are being used on identical workbooks with the formula referring to the same ranges and sheet names each time then copy and paste works but if changes are needed then rewriting is often quicker and easier.

Having said that, if the workbooks are identical each time then the actual solution would be to create a template with the formulas but no data so that you can simply save a new copy each time with the formulas already in place.

You also have the option of the macro recorder with code to write the formulas saved in your personal.xlsb workbook.

Upvote 0
Hi Jasonb75,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm trying to avoid using templates in this case ( of course where needed i'm using them - also power query and vba.
I guess i was just looking for a solution i can do without opening any other excels.
Regard,
Eszter

Upvote 0
You could store the Defined Names in a personal.xlsb file & then refer to them from the activeworkbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back