Rounding up, linking values

katk

Board Regular
I'm sure this is easy, but I have a column of numbers that I want to always be rounded up. I set the cells to show 0 decimal places but didn't see an option for rounding up. Help?

More importantly, I'm still working on another problem with linking cell values between spreadsheets/workbooks. I have a list of products in a spreadsheet that was designed to alert the company when items need to be re-ordered. It depends on updated sales info though, which comes from spreadsheets that don't include the entire list of products. Is it possible to link the data such that the sales info links into the reordering sheet by product number?

For example:

Reordering sheet
Item# - Item - Cost - Available Inventory**
11 - Wine - $15 - 7
12 - Beer - $12 - 3
13 - Soda - $8 - 10
14 - Juice - $9 - 2

**where available inventory is the linked data

Sales info sheet
Item# - Item - #sold - Available Inventory**
11 - Wine - 2 - 5
13 - Soda - 3 - 7

What I want is for the reordering sheet to then update correctly

Item# - Item - Cost - Available Inventory**
11 - Wine - $15 - (5)
12 - Beer - $12 - 3
13 - Soda - $8 - (7)
14 - Juice - $9 - 2

I know how to link spreadsheets but right now when I link, the data items just fill contiguous spaces without reference to matching up. Unfortunately, I don't have a very good knowledge of the inner workings of excel (macros, etc.) so I haven't been able to tackle this one myself. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Ok, first, the round up issue. You'll have do do the rounding in a separate column, unless the values in your column are the result of a formula, then you can incorporate the roundup function into your formula. If all your values are in col A, just enter =ROUNDUP(A1,0). This will round the value in A1 up to the nearest whole number. If you want to round up to the nearest tenth, you would enter =ROUNDUP(A1,1). You can then copy the roundup formula down to your other rows.

For your linking question, are the sales info sheet and the reordering sheet part of the same workbook? Are the spaces where the available inventory is input constant? For example, if on your Sales info sheet, the avail inventory for wine will always be in D2 (on sheet2), and on your reordering sheet, the avail inventory for wine will always be in E4 (on sheet1), in E4 of sheet1, you can just put =sheet2!D2 to read directly from the sales info sheet. Then, any updates you make to the sales info sheet will auto update the reorder sheet.

I hope this is helpful - let me know if this isn't what you needed.

Upvote 0
Wow -- thanks so much! I didn't know you could link to individual cells like that. Plus when I tried it out, it stayed constant even when I added rows to simulate new products, which is another thing I was worried about -- hooray! Thanks a lot for your help : )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back