ROUNDUP not working properly

Roncondor

Board Regular
Hi

In Excel2019 lately have been receiving incorrect results from the ROUNDUP function. Many times it does not Round up but down

on the attached, I used it without even a formula: just a hardcoded number, and I received an incorrect result

What is odd is that right underneath it shows the 1 that I expect, but the function result and the cell show a zero

Thank you

PS no circular references in the spreadhsheet

Attachments

• roundup.JPG
    roundup.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 53

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Is it possible that you have some unusual formatting for that cell? You said that many times it rounds down, but does it sometimes round correctly? Can you try a copy>paste special>format from a cell that works to one that doesn't?

I can duplicate your results using a custom number format of "0.00000" (including the quotes), but that always returns 0.00000 - never anything else - and I don't know why anyone would have a cell formatted that way.

This probably isn't it, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause the results you're seeing.

1642038608244.png

Upvote 0
Is it possible that you have some unusual formatting for that cell? You said that many times it rounds down, but does it sometimes round correctly? Can you try a copy>paste special>format from a cell that works to one that doesn't?

I can duplicate your results using a custom number format of "0.00000" (including the quotes), but that always returns 0.00000 - never anything else - and I don't know why anyone would have a cell formatted that way.

This probably isn't it, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause the results you're seeing.

View attachment 55118

Thank you. I switched to the INT formula instead of ROUNDUP. I don't think I had any unusual or custom formatting, but I will keep an eye out for that if it ever pops up again

Upvote 0
Thank you. I switched to the INT formula instead of ROUNDUP. I don't think I had any unusual or custom formatting, but I will keep an eye out for that if it ever pops up again
That doesn't seem to do what you want.
The INT function will never round up, it will always round down, as it just removes the decimal portion on the number.
Or are you then adding one to the answer, as long as it doesn't start off as a whole number, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=IF(A1=INT(A1),A1,INT(A1)+1)

Upvote 0
I am sure this is unlikely but when you put in constants into the ROUNDUP function arguments screen was the ActiveCell actually blank ?

I can reproduce your screen in my 365 but only I have a value (in my case -1) in the activecell when I invoked fx > ROUNDUP dialogue box.

1642078354688.png

Upvote 0
That doesn't seem to do what you want.
The INT function will never round up, it will always round down, as it just removes the decimal portion on the number.
Or are you then adding one to the answer, as long as it doesn't start off as a whole number, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=IF(A1=INT(A1),A1,INT(A1)+1)
Thanks -will check that it works ok.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back