Row Function in cell reference

Willmonbo

Board Regular
I am trying to do something that I think should be fairly easy and perhaps I have even done in the past but can't figure out now what i'm missing.

I just want to reference the cell in column D of the same row that I am working in, how do I do that?

Ok I get what you need
Excel Workbook
DEFG
5INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),4))
Sheet1
Excel 2010
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F6=MyCell
G6=MyCell
Excel Workbook
NameRefers To
MyCell=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),4))
Workbook Defined Names

open the name manager and create a new name, MyCell using the formula<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="192"><tr height="19"><td colspan="3" style="height: 14.4pt; width: 144pt;" height="19" width="192">=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),4))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
that's exactly what I did and for some reason it gives me the #value error when I enter the "defined name" into a cell.

Honestly, I am also hesitant about using the indirect function since i was told by an experienced excel guy on this board, that the indirect function can be quite volatile, perhaps that's even the reason it's not working here, so for now I think the "index" method (submitted by T. Valko above) will do it for me, unless something better is suggested.

Thanks scott.. for your efforts, it truly is appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
that's exactly what I did and for some reason it gives me the #value error when I enter the "defined name" into a cell.

Honestly, I am also hesitant about using the indirect function since i was told by an experienced excel guy on this board, that the indirect function can be quite volatile, perhaps that's even the reason it's not working here, so for now I think the "index" method (submitted by T. Valko above) will do it for now, unless something better is suggested.

That doesn't mean it's unstable / unrelaible, http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsi.htm

I've used the principle of =INDIRECT("RC4",0) with no problems, both in sheet, and in named ranges.

Upvote 0
in this situation it's not any more unreliable than any other formula, it's referencing a hardcoded Column Address, with a flexible row() number

What the indirect does is create a reference to a cell/range from a text string.

As long as you have something that works for you

Upvote 0
thanks Jason for correcting me on the definition of "volatile" in functions, I understood it as unstable as you correctly assumed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back