Rows to Columns with Every Other Row Formula

Debra Lucius

Hello,

I'm working with a Word Document that includes course number, course title and course description. I saved the document as a .txt file and used Excel to open the .txt file.

The current Excel format is one column; one row contains course number and title and the row directly below contains course description. My goal is to add 3 additional columns to include course number, course title, and course description. Course description needs to included the information from Col B and insert description into column E. In the example below B1 data should appear in C1 and D1; B2 should appear in E1 without (Course Credits).

Is this possible? Thank you for your assistance

ABCDE
RowCurrent FormatCourse NumberCourse TitleCourse Description
1ACT 5000 - Financial and Managerial AccountingACT 5000Financial and Managerial AccountingFinancial statements, accrual accounting, statement of cash flows, financial reporting, cost behavior, cost-volume-profit analysis, activity based costing, profit planning, budgeting, flexible budgeting, segment profitability reporting, relevant cost data for decision making, transfer pricing, product and services pricing, and performance measuring including ROI, residual income, and balanced scorecard, including measures to analyze costs and factors associated with sustainability
2(3 units) Financial statements, accrual accounting, statement of cash flows, financial reporting, cost behavior, cost-volume-profit analysis, activity based costing, profit planning, budgeting, flexible budgeting, segment profitability reporting, relevant cost data for decision making, transfer pricing, product and services pricing, and performance measuring including ROI, residual income, and balanced scorecard, including measures to analyze costs and factors associated with sustainability
3ACT 6015 - Financial ReportingACT 6015Financial ReportingThis course focuses on the principles and practices in the preparation and use of financial statements such as the balance sheet, income statement, the statement of cash flows and other documents for financial reporting. Significance and limitations of financial statements are studied to allow students making informed decisions based on the provided financial documents.
4(3 units) This course focuses on the principles and practices in the preparation and use of financial statements such as the balance sheet, income statement, the statement of cash flows and other documents for financial reporting. Significance and limitations of financial statements are studied to allow students making informed decisions based on the provided financial documents.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Play around with the data import wizard for text files.

Go to Data tab > Get External Data > From Text (this opens up the wizard)

You then want to selected the "Delimited" option - this determines what Excel will look for to split one cell into two. You would go "other" and enter a hyphen. As you should see, it will split ACT 5000 - Financial and Managerial Accounting into two columns "ACT 5000" and "Financial and Managerial Accounting".

However, the description will still be in the row below. I'm not sure that there is a way to automatically and easily solve this using a data import method, although there are many workaroudns to move it to the 3rd column

Upvote 0
Try this :-
Nb:- Adjust column widths to suit !!!
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG21Dec09
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Lst [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Integer,[/COLOR] Rw [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] Sp [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Variant
Lst = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
[COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] Range("C:E")
    .WrapText = True
    .VerticalAlignment = xlTop
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] With
[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] Rw = 2 To Lst [COLOR="Navy"]Step[/COLOR] 2
    [COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] Range("B" & Rw)
        Sp = Split(.Value, "-")
        .Offset(, 1).Value = Sp(0)
        .Offset(, 2).Value = Sp(1)
        .Offset(, 3).Value = Split(.Offset(1).Value, ")")(1)
    [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] With
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Rw
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Hi Mick,

Thank you for your assistance.
I copied and paste the VB code but when I ran the macro but ran into a problem with Sub MG21Dec09().

Upvote 0
Debra,

I recommend trying Mick's solution (as he seems far more experienced at VBA), however I am trying to learn and have come up with an alternative slightly rusty solution, but one which works for me. In this, I assume that when you import the data, you have 500 rows. If there are fewer than 500, then it will finish with an error (but will still work), if more than 500, then you will need to change this in the code.

Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim Rowcounter As Integer

For Rowcounter = 1 To 500
    Cells(Rowcounter, 1).Select
    Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Cells(Rowcounter, 1), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
        TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, Other:=True, OtherChar _
        :="-"
    Cells(Rowcounter + 1, 1).Select
    RemoveText = Mid(Selection, 11)
    Cells(Rowcounter, 3).Value = RemoveText

Rows(Rowcounter + 1).Delete

Next Rowcounter

End Sub

For more experienced coders who may see this - I'd appreciate your feedback on my code - as I said, I'm trying to learn! Thanks!

Upvote 0
**Forgot you had headers in the first row** please try this instead:

Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim Rowcounter As Integer

For Rowcounter = 2 To 500
    Cells(Rowcounter, 1).Select
    Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Cells(Rowcounter, 1), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
        TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, Other:=True, OtherChar _
        :="-"
    Cells(Rowcounter + 1, 1).Select
    Cells(Rowcounter, 3).Value = RemoveText

Rows(Rowcounter + 1).Delete

Next Rowcounter

End Sub

Upvote 0
MichaelS94,

Is it possible to retain the original values in Col A? I noticed missing words for course description.

Thank you for your assistance

Upvote 0
That might be a result of the code
Code:

This was an attempt to remove the course credits "(3 units)" at the start of the course description. In my logic, that is 10 characters, and so of the text in A2 which you want moved to C1 (course description), you want the copied text to start at the 11th character (ignoring the first 10 characters).

Do all of the course descriptions have course credits at the start?

Upvote 0
If you paste the code into a basic module then it should run when you select the code from the macro dialog box and click "Run"
If you pasted into a CommandButton , you will need to remove that line starting "Sub"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back