Run and show status of Power Query Refresh

Mr Denove

I have 5 power queries that I would like to trigger with vba and show the status of when thy have completed their update (not just started to refresh). Is it possible to capture the completion of each refresh and then show it on a sheet for example. This would also allow other users to use it.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
You could do this with a class which handles the BeforeRefresh and AfterRefresh events of the query table associated with the table of each Power Query. The event handlers update a 'Status' sheet which shows the following values of each query: Table Name. Destination Cell, Refresh Start Time, Refresh End Time, Refresh Status.

First, add a new sheet to your workbook and name it "Status".

Add a new class module and name it clsQuery and paste in the following code:
VBA Code:
'Class module - clsQuery

'Each instance of this class contains details about a specific query table and handles
'the BeforeRefresh and AfterRefresh events when the query table is changed.

Option Explicit

Private WithEvents pQueryTable As QueryTable

Private pStatusBaseCell As Range
Private pRefreshStartTime As Date
Private pRefreshEndTime As Date

Public Property Get QueryTable() As QueryTable
    Set QueryTable = pQueryTable
End Property

Public Property Set QueryTable(ByVal qt As QueryTable)
    Set pQueryTable = qt
End Property

Public Property Get StatusBaseCell() As Range
    StatusBaseCell = pStatusBaseCell
End Property

Public Property Set StatusBaseCell(baseCell As Range)
    Set pStatusBaseCell = baseCell
End Property

Private Sub pQueryTable_BeforeRefresh(Cancel As Boolean)

pRefreshStartTime = Now
    With pQueryTable
        pStatusBaseCell.Resize(, 5).Value = Array(.ListObject.Name, "'" & .Destination.Worksheet.Name & "'!" & .Destination.Address, pRefreshStartTime, "", "Refresh Running")
    End With

End Sub

Private Sub pQueryTable_AfterRefresh(ByVal Success As Boolean)

pRefreshEndTime = Now
    With pQueryTable
        If Success Then
            pStatusBaseCell.Resize(, 5).Value = Array(.ListObject.Name, "'" & .Destination.Worksheet.Name & "'!" & .Destination.Address, pRefreshStartTime, pRefreshEndTime, "Succeeded")
        Else
            pStatusBaseCell.Resize(, 5).Value = Array(.ListObject.Name, "'" & .Destination.Worksheet.Name & "'!" & .Destination.Address, pRefreshStartTime, pRefreshEndTime, "Failed")
        End If
    End With

End Sub

Add a new standard module and paste in the following code:
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

'Dictionary which holds multiple clsQuery objects
Public queryTablesDict As Object 'Scripting.Dictionary

Public Sub Refresh_All_Queries_With_Status_Updates()

Dim statusSheet As Worksheet, baseCell As Range
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim table As ListObject
    Dim qt As QueryTable
    Dim thisQuery As clsQuery
    Dim i As Long

Set statusSheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Status")

With statusSheet
        .Cells.ClearContents
        .Range("A1:E1").Value = Array("Table Name", "Destination Cell", "Refresh Start Time", "Refresh End Time", "Refresh Status")
        Set baseCell = .Range("A2")
        .Activate
    End With

Set queryTablesDict = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

i = 0
    For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
        For Each table In ws.ListObjects
            On Error Resume Next
            Set qt = table.QueryTable
            On Error GoTo 0
            If Not qt Is Nothing Then

'Create a new instance of a clsQuery with this query table and add it to the dictionary

Set thisQuery = New clsQuery
                Set thisQuery.QueryTable = qt
                Set thisQuery.StatusBaseCell = baseCell.Offset(i)
                queryTablesDict.Add key:=table.Name, Item:=thisQuery
                i = i + 1

'Refresh this query

qt.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=True
                Set qt = Nothing
            End If
        Next
    Next

End Sub
Now run the Refresh_All_Queries_With_Status_Updates procedure to refresh the queries in your workbook and see the updates on the "Status" sheet.

Upvote 1
Solution
Thanks for the reply. Will need to wait til Monday to try it out, and possibly to understand it.
Will let you know.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm salivating but also have questions.

What would need to be updated to allow this to play in Mr Denove's file (and now mine), if anything? Workbook specific and/or needing something for each Power Query needing refreshed? Also, is there a way to show if there are any errors, and if so, the count of those errors?

Upvote 0
What would need to be updated to allow this to play in Mr Denove's file (and now mine), if anything? Workbook specific and/or needing something for each Power Query needing refreshed? Also, is there a way to show if there are any errors, and if so, the count of those errors?
You shouldn't need to do anything more than the steps I've described.

The Success argument in the AfterRefresh event says whether the refresh succeeded or not. I don't think it's possible to capture the refresh error number or description, if it failed. You could add an error count property to the clsQuery class, initialise it in the main procedure and increment it in the AfterRefresh event if Success = False and output the count on the Status sheet.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need to do anything more than the steps I've described.

The Success argument in the AfterRefresh event says whether the refresh succeeded or not. I don't think it's possible to capture the refresh error number or description, if it failed. You could add an error count property to the clsQuery class, initialise it in the main procedure and increment it in the AfterRefresh event if Success = False and output the count on the Status sheet.
Morning, finally got a chance to check this and it works like a charm. This is the first code that I have found anywhere that actually does this.
Thank you John_w

Mr D

Upvote 0
Oh my goodness. @John_w , this is absolutely brilliant!!! I am in love.

I'm not super great at VBA (yay plagiarism), so if you could throw some guidance my way on how to get the number of Errors (the blue numbers on Power Queries when there are errors) as a part of the Status table, that would be fantastic!

Thank you SO much @Mr Denove for asking this question at the most perfect time!

Upvote 0
Ok, I was able to tailor this code to work exactly as I need it for all of my stuff. Truly GENIUS!

Now when I was asking about the error count, I was actually talking about the numbers in blue that are displayed in the Queries and Connections pane (pic provided).
1666383683387.png

Would it be possible to update the VBA to also show the queries errors, so it would include the 292 and 65 respectively.

Any idea?

Upvote 0
Is it possible to ask further what is a Class Module as Ive never came across it before.
A class module is used to define custom objects. In this case, one of the members of the class is Private WithEvents pQueryTable As QueryTable which means instances of the class (objects) receive the BeforeRefresh and AfterRefresh events generated by the Excel QueryTable object.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back